Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British who served with the Australians


Dan hood

Recommended Posts

Need a little help with a family ministry. My gt gt uncle Reginald stone who was a Norwich man, signed up for Australian army, I have checked the Australian archive and can't find anything about him,he also served in the 2nd world war . He married a lady called Elsie and they both lived in Norwich. I believe he was born around 1897.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Dan,

 

A bit more information would help others try and find him.

Where and when did he sign up, and where was he living at the time?

Did he emigrate to Australia?

Where and when did he die?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dan,

 

Did he have a second name?

 

Is there any evidence in the family to support him serving in the AIF? Photographs, medals?

 

Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Dan

There are two Reginald Stone's on the AWM Nominal Roll for WW1

Reginald Henry Stone enlisted 19 Feb 1918 Service No 51185

Reginald Albert Stone enlisted 20 Jul 1915 Service No 2775

 

If your man was born 1897, then the most likely is Reginald Henry Stone, 4th Australian Infantry Battalion but he was born in Sydney NSW

The other I can't find his service papers at the moment.

Can you give more info on DOB

 

Peter

 

So he could have been an Aussie who married into your family?????

Edited by ForeignGong
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sadly all the family have Past away know, My dad use to talk about him and had some badges (sadly stolen) I have two photos of him and under a eye glass it looks like a Australian cap badge. Thank you all for your help I think he was born in Norwich in 1885- 1897. I guess he will be on a ceases record some where with Elsie Stone, I am new to all this family tree stuff and tech stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dan hood said:

Sadly all the family have Past away know, My dad use to talk about him and had some badges (sadly stolen) I have two photos of him and under a eye glass it looks like a Australian cap badge. Thank you all for your help I think he was born in Norwich in 1885- 1897. I guess he will be on a ceases record some where with Elsie Stone, I am new to all this family tree stuff and tech stuff. 

 

Dan,

 

Why don't you post  images of the photographs? It may help

 

Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That looks to be a British tunic Dan. 

 

Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dan hood said:

Ok could he have transferred to a Australian unit ?

 

There would be a record of it if he had. Probably best to find some more personal details of him and see if you can find records for him or a Medal index Card serving in the British Army.

Unfortunately that photograph doesn't identify him as any particular regiment.

 

Could he have served along side AIF units and the family story become confused over time?

 

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Punctuation.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like he was an officer in WW2. Not a very clear image there.

 

Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think I need to start with Norwich ceases record. Go from there. Thank you for help,you all know your stuff on this forum.

I had so much family stuff stolen. Trying to make a story of what I have left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dan hood said:

Think I need to start with Norwich ceases record. Go from there. Thank you for help,you all know your stuff on this forum.

I had so much family stuff stolen. Trying to make a story of what I have left.

 

Get some solid background information and work from there. Birth and death certificates are a good place to start.

 

Don't be afraid to ask questions here.

 

Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok I think middle initials w h birth 1891. Still not good at Tec stuff. Thought I would start with the easy stuff. I would like to Do my Dads--Dads side they were all Scottish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dan hood said:

Ok I think middle initials w h birth 1891. Still not good at Tec stuff. Thought I would start with the easy stuff. I would like to Do my Dads--Dads side they were all Scottish.

 

Hi Dan, and welcome to the forum...

Some personal info for you that sounds like your man:

 

Birth Index: Reginald William H b. Jul-Sept Qtr 1891 Norfolk, Norwich

Norfolk Baptisms:

Reginald William Henry Stone (born June 1st 1891) – baptized 27th Sept 1891 Eaton, St Andrew & Christchurch – Parents: William (Occ: Miller) & Emma Alice

 

1911 Census, Norfolk: Occ: Corporation Clerk (Municipal)

 

Marr Index: Reginald W H STONE married Elsie M OLSSON 1921 Hartlepool, Durham

 

1939 England & Wales Register:

Born 1/6/1891 – Local Govt Clerk (Army Officer …?...– Reserve Ref No.100 1634/9)

Living Norfolk, Norwich in 1939 with wife Elsie M (b.4/5/1898)

 

Probate Index:

STONE, Reginald William Henry of Monhaven 152 Trafford Rd, Norwich died 26 May 1977

 

Haven’t been able to establish definite war details – but there is a WW1 medal index card for a:

Reginald W. STONE – Sgt 84983 with the Royal Engineers – and under Remarks is written:

Comm. 21.11.40 (which I’m guessing could be a reference to receiving a commission in WW2?)

 

No doubt the British experts will be able to find something for you….

Cheers, Frev

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dan,

All the experts here could give you a guess of somebody who might fit the bill.

You must get some concrete facts first and build your family tree correctly.

There's no point guessing it might be X, Y or Z.

You have to start with yourself, your parents and your grandparents.

You have to nail them down with definite dates and places of birth and death to prove you are on the right track.

Anything else is just guesswork and a waste of your (and others' ) time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dan hood said:

Need a little help with a family ministry. My gt gt uncle Reginald stone who was a Norwich man, signed up for Australian army, I have checked the Australian archive and can't find anything about him,he also served in the 2nd world war . He married a lady called Elsie and they both lived in Norwich. I believe he was born around 1897.

 The only Reginald Stone's born in Norwich between 1880 and 1899 are these two according to Freebmd.

 

 

Screenshot_20200119-102011.jpg

 

Or in wider Norfolk

 

 

Screenshot_20200119-102700.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

Any chance you can get a really good scan of the first photo at all Dan? It might help.

Michelle 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, frev said:

 

Hi Dan, and welcome to the forum...

Some personal info for you that sounds like your man:

 

Birth Index: Reginald William H b. Jul-Sept Qtr 1891 Norfolk, Norwich

 

Norfolk Baptisms:

 

Reginald William Henry Stone (born June 1st 1891) – baptized 27th Sept 1891 Eaton, St Andrew & Christchurch – Parents: William (Occ: Miller) & Emma Alice

 

 

 

1911 Census, Norfolk: Occ: Corporation Clerk (Municipal)

 

 

 

Marr Index: Reginald W H STONE married Elsie M OLSSON 1921 Hartlepool, Durham

 

 

 

1939 England & Wales Register:

 

Born 1/6/1891 – Local Govt Clerk (Army Officer …?...– Reserve Ref No.100 1634/9)

 

Living Norfolk, Norwich in 1939 with wife Elsie M (b.4/5/1898)

 

 

 

Probate Index:

 

STONE, Reginald William Henry of Monhaven 152 Trafford Rd, Norwich died 26 May 1977

 

 

Haven’t been able to establish definite war details – but there is a WW1 medal index card for a:

 

Reginald W. STONE – Sgt 84983 with the Royal Engineers – and under Remarks is written:

 

Comm. 21.11.40 (which I’m guessing could be a reference to receiving a commission in WW2?)

 

 

 

No doubt the British experts will be able to find something for you….

 

Cheers, Frev

 

 

Pretty much nailed it there Frev as far as I can see.....the only thing I can add is that he was a senior Clerk in the Tax Office post WW1, his name crops up in newspaper reports of road tax violations....in 1940 he is working with the Army Pay Corps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...