Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 65877 James Scotland , 5th HQ Canadian Infantry Brigade killed 30 April 1916 Belgium

patrick anderson

I am researching a  Scot who went from  Dundee   in  Angus  Scotland to  live in  Canada in possibly 1914 and he was called up to join the  5th  HQ  Canadian Infantry  Brigade  in 1915 and went to war and  on  30th  April  1916  , sadly was  a casualty of war .  He was 26 years of age  and the son of James  S and Jane  Taylor  Scotland,  11 Forest  Park  Rd Dundee . Angus  Scotland.

I know that a  Great  War Medal was sent to his parents in  Scotland and i presume that the  Canadian  Memorial  Cross would be sent to his Mother in  Scotland but that does not seem to have survived in the family for some reason.

I hear that he was a  Coachman by occupation before being called up  and that he had served in the  Black  Watch  Volunteer Battalion  in  Dundee before emigrating to  Canada .   He was born in  Lochee   , Dundee  on 12th July 1889

What battle was he killed in as he is buried  in DICKEBUSCH NEW MILITARY CEMETERY , BELGIUM .  any info on this Scottish  Soldier in the  Canadian  Infantry would be  great.  Why would he be serving  with the  5th HQ Canadian  Infantry Brigade or was it just another  battalion ?
Thank you for your info and advice

patrick w anderson

he was indeed a coach man - this and other info is shown on his papers

thanks   Coldstreamer for that info and  the attestation paper for him joining up !    

• 4 weeks later...

This week i received a communication from Lt  Col  Colin  McGrory, secretary of the  Scottish National  War Memorial at  Edinburgh  Castle that the  Trustees have accepted the  Great  War Soldier Pte  65877 James  Scotland,  5th HQ Canadian Infantry  Brigade  formerly 24th Bn  Canadian Infantry  killed in action on 30th  April  1916 . He is buried in Dickebusch New Military Cemetery   West Vlaanderen,  Belgium  in grave J 32 and his headstone records his birthplace of LOCHEE , DUNDEE , SCOTLAND .

I am very pleased that this war casualty has at last been recorded on the  Edinburgh  Roll of Honour  and will be listed in due course in the  Roll of Honour on display in the  Scottish National  War Memorial at the  Castle and shortly on the roll of honour on their website  that is updated at periods in the year.

Thank you for your assistance   and best wishes   from Scotland

patrick w anderson

Hi Patrick,

It would appear that James was killed when a shell exploded in a dug out that he was in.

image.png.f6f999a86d000e2717c8ac50f6c8bf06.png

image.png.de173549389ebbf10d68d7831f4db19a.png

image.png.f0861a3ac53477bacc6e7660353fb722.png

Images sourced from the Library and Archives Canada

Regards

Chris

Edit:

Did you see his full service record, rather than just the initial 2 (attestation) pages immediately on view?

Edited by clk

Chris  thanks , i got enough info on him that has satisfied the  Lt  Col at the   Scottish  National  War Memorial ,  Edinburgh  Castle to accept  the casualty   Pte   James   Scotland of the  Canadian Infantry  Killed in action  as you said  and yes had to submit his Birth  Certificate as well as papers enough to prove his war service  and death in action  etc .   Thank you for your help and yes  Another  Soldier of  WW1  - a  Scot out of the  Cold and now recorded at the   SNWM the  Edinburgh  Castle .. 

best wishes from  Scotland

patrick w anderson

On  21st  February 2020 , I received a  communication from Lt  Col  Colin McGrory , secretary  informing me that  the  Trustees of the  Scottish National  War Memorial at the  Edinburgh  Castle had accepted the   Great  War  Casualty Pte  James  Scotland  of the  Canadians and his name will be recorded on the  Canadian Infantry Roll of Honours  for  Scots serving in  CCF in WW1 and in due course the website willl be updated too .  The Paper  Roll of Honour  for the Canadian  Forces in  WW1 will be updated in due course for anyone viewing these  Regiment and  Corps  etc  Rolls of Honour at the  Scottish National  War Memorial at the  Edinburgh  Castle

thank you all for your help and knowledge in adding this Casualty to the  Roll of  Honour at the  Edinburgh  Castle in  Scotland

Patrick  W  Anderson