Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Planning in advance of visiting the Somme this Summer

Polar Bear

Firstly I have been there before but not for twenty years or so. Both visits also pretty much centered on brief trips to Thiepval and were before I knew much about my Great, Great Uncle's service. I knew he died and that he was commemorated on the wall there for he has no known grave. Therefore in his memory we went to where his name is on the wall.

Now, twenty years later I know so much more and wish to do it 'properly'.

Effectively I am looking at three locations that would have been significant to him and his story. Then the three cemetaries that are the most likely candidates for his last resting place.

Specifically these are:

1) Wood Lane Trench that ran from High Wood to Delville Wood.

2) Falfemont Farm

3) Morval

Then:

1) Guards Cemetery, Lesbouef

2) Perrone Road Cemetery, Maricourt

3) Thiepval

So, my question(s) are: Is there anything specific I should see at these places? Any hidden gems? Any (non obvious) do's and don'ts.

Is there anything other than this that I absolutely ought to see on the Somme for at the moment beyond the above the itinery is flexible.

Any help would be much appreciated for as I say any personal knowledge of the area I have is twenty years old and likely badly out of date.

Edited by Polar Bear
typo

6 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

1) Wood Lane Trench that ran from High Wood to Delville Wood.

Any (non obvious) do's and don'ts.

Don't pick these up if they are still lying at the side of the track at Wood Lane!

DSC06861.JPG

Yes.

No intention of going anywhere near any ordnance. (Though it does speak of the ferocity of the fighting there)

[Admittedly when I was much younger a friend found at Verdun what he thought might be part of a German hand grenade. Therefore he wandered over towards me with it and asked 'Do you think there's any chance this is live?' I did not let him get any closer! Thankfully he put it then put it down...]

On 18 January 2020 at 17:55, Polar Bear said:

Is there anything other than this that I absolutely ought to see on the Somme for at the moment beyond the above the itinery is flexible.

Any help would be much appreciated for as I say any personal knowledge of the area I have is twenty years old and likely badly out of date.

The Glory Hole. Can be booked in advance.

The tank Deborah at Flesquiere (sp)?

The Sunken Lane

Hawthorn Ridge Crater

Thiepval Wood tour

Albert Museum

Lochnagar Crater

Newfoundland Park

Delville Wood Museum

Coffee at Ulster Tower

There's a start for ten!

Len

The Thiepval Wood tour as Len Trim mentioned - you can email them on ulstertower@sommeassociation.com

It needs to be booked in advance but if you let them know what date you are there they will be able to tell you times and book you in.

There is no charge but you can make a donation and have a cup of tea or coffee after there also.

Not far away is the Authuille Cemetery too where the Willie McBride of the song fame is buried.

And at Delville Wood look out for 'The last tree'

Butte du Warlencourt isn't far away either.

Enjoy your visit!

On 21/01/2020 at 11:08, Terry Carter said:

Wood Lane, Falfemont Farm and Morval. 

Did your great uncle serve in the 5th Division? 

Sorry, only just noticed this reply but yes. 2nd Birminghams of the 13th Brigade.