Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GRU Temporary Marker Tags

stevie1944

Hello,

Can someone provide insight on how these tags were made? Was there an embossing machine the GRU used to create these tags, or were they hand stamped? What type of metal was used, and how were the tags cut? I assume they were created on site. I know most of the GRU markers were manufactured off site and shipped - I've always been curious about the tags. Cheers - Steve

feature-columb-IMG_8491-1080x622.jpg

They were made of aluminium  on an embossing machine, the machines were a regular feature on railway stations when I was a lad, seem to remember it was 10 letters for a penny.

John 

This type of machine was very common on railway station platforms when I was a boy.

Martin

stamper1.jpg.47f8eaefcfef3191056f03c639950d61.jpg

Edited by tootrock

Thanks guys. I am constructing a replica marker for a friend and am searching high and low on where I can get these tags replicated. So far no luck.

16 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

In the 50s/early 60s there was one of these embossing machines on the esplanade at Lyme Regis.

And also 1950's at the Pier Head in Liverpool (Mersey Ferries).

BillyH.

Were these embossed tags a postwar GRU item to standardize the grave markers, or would the original grave markers on the wartime burials have these on them?

Original wartime grave markers were of all sorts of designs, with details written on them.

Examples (Lijssenthoek and Poelcapelle) below.

Martin

Lijssenthoek.jpg.dbebee64e1dc34050af62a1aeb4d51a4.jpgPoelcapelle.jpg.45ec1cfd85bfc5b5e2535ff9b207cce2.jpg

Thanks Martin - I was enquiring if the stamped tags were a postwar GRU/IWGC addition to the markers, or if they were in use and were on the original markers during the war, particularly 1915-17. Cheers - Steve

• 1 year later...
On 20/01/2020 at 12:09, stevie1944 said:

I was enquiring if the stamped tags were a postwar GRU/IWGC addition to the markers, or if they were in use and were on the original markers during the war, particularly 1915-17

Can't put my finger on it for that 1915-17 period but there were clear DGRE Standing Orders for the erection of crosses and marking using GRU tapes during the war [my copy from CWGC archives is dated Revised to 1st May 1918 - CWGC ref CWGC/1/1/1/38/3] Doesn't go into great detail about the tapes but they certainly weren't only a post-war phenomenon.

:-) M

Edit: That SO gives specific instructions about the addition of GRU tags to existing 'sufficient' crosses with adequate details aklready marked on the front - in such cases just "GRU" on the front and the other details on further tape tags on the rear.

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Hello,

Having seen pictures of German cemeteries created by the British (after the war), I can say that these strips were definitely used after the war.

Jan

2 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Having seen pictures of German cemeteries created by the British (after the war), I can say that these strips were definitely used after the war.

Yes, certainly used after the war - but also during it.

2 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Yes, certainly used after the war - but also during it.

Possibly, I can't say anything about that. (British graves during the war is outside of my research and area of knowledge).