Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible IFTC

ralphjd

Edward Vincent Duggan has a pension record on Ancestry served with the 13 Manchesters for 3years plus,bit of a lad by all accounts,  discharged KR etc no longer capable etc stomach cancer died and buried in an unmarked grave Rochdale cemetery. Any advice as to whether this is worthy of submission for IFTC project. Help needed. Ralph.

For a discharged man to qualify for CWGC commemoration, the cause of death must be proven to have been directly 'due to' or 'aggravated by' service within the qualifying dates. Dying of a condition simply contracted 'during' service is not a qualification.

The actual illness is irrelevant as it is the 'due to/aggravated by' element which is the deciding factor.

If this can be proven from existing records and his death certificate, it is certainly a case to be considered.

Terry

Terry. LittleBob has sent me an image of Form 90 Award Sheet which states "aggravated by" etc. Sufficient ? Ralph.

6 minutes ago, ralphjd said:

Terry. LittleBob has sent me an image of Form 90 Award Sheet which states "aggravated by" etc. Sufficient ? Ralph.

Yes that's what it says:

Link

I'm not sure how or why they came to that conclusion.

But that's what the form says.

Ergo. Case proved?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

8 minutes ago, Terry Denham said:

If you can give the details so that we can check and a copy of his death certificate, we can asses it.

Regards

Terry

9 minutes ago, Terry Denham said:

If you can give the details so that we can check and a copy of his death certificate, we can asses it.

Regards

Terry

I shall send for his death certificate now. Ralph

When he attested in September 1914 he weighed 132lbs and presumably as a well fed and active soldier over the next 2-3 years, he would have been even bulkier. By the time of pension examination in November 1918 he has lost at least 13 lbs weighing only 8st 7lbs, (119lbs).

One realises that medical facilities in Salonika might not have been ideal, or even in Malta in March 1918 when the diagnosis was made. So by the time he arrives in Chester in May 1918, he must already be inoperable.

It would be interesting to access his medical records to see when he first presented  with his symptoms and whether there was a delay in making the diagnosis?

It is possible that whenever he first presented, he might already have been inoperable, but without contemporaneous notes, we will never know.

I wonder if that was the reason the condition was said to be aggravated by war service?

I have looked at his records including his medial records and he will meet the qualifications provided the death certificate says death due to the same cause (and not run over by a bus etc). If you can send his certificate to us, we can get the case on its way. Only the PDF version of the certificate is necessary - not the full document on paper.

His record follows a common pattern with cancer conditions. The conclusion is usually (not always) 'not due to service but aggravated by service'.

Terry

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Terry Denham said:

Unfortunately, in order for the grave to be accepted, we would need a copy of the burial register page from the cemetery authority.

Sadly doesn't appear on Deceased Online so need to contact the local authority direct.

• 2 weeks later...

All done death cert £11 copy entry death register nil cost. Best staff in the county at Rochdale. Now to start the ball rolling. Ralph.

Public thanks to Terry for submitting this chap for consideration now he has the documents required. Fingers crossed for our man. Ralph.(Just out of interest there are 7 (seven) burials in this grave including his wife - the last one)

• 2 years later...
On 17/01/2020 at 14:12, little bob said:

GBM_WO363-4_007271467_01484.jpg.e2724396d5c2407a26825e5a225a1968.jpg

I would presume from DUGGAN's Ancestry "Pension Record" [to which I do not have access]

Please ... Quick questions, likely for @ss002d6252:

= Whose form [Form 90, Award Sheet - Disablement Pension], is this? - Army's or MoP's?

= Who would have filled it in? - Army [e.g. a Medical Board] or MoP?

I'm thus rather presuming the MoP on both accounts ???

M

Edited by Matlock1418

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

I would presume from DUGGAN's Ancestry "Pension Record" [to which I do not have access]

Please ... Quick questions, likely for @ss002d6252:

= Whose form [Form 90, Award Sheet - Disablement Pension], is this? - Army's or MoP's?

= Who would have filled it in? - Army [e.g. a Medical Board] or MoP?

I'm thus rather presuming the MoP on both accounts ???

M

Yes, MoP.

Craig 

Just now, ss002d6252 said:

Yes, MoP.

Thanks - Thought so.

M

• 6 months later...

Wondering is there is any update at all on this ... very interesting

Not yet, still waiting on adjudication...

2 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

Not yet, still waiting on adjudication...

Thanks for the update. regards