Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Crofts Medal

Cliff Jeffery

Hi All,

I am looking for help to try and trace information on an "Edward Crofts". I have one of his medals (Victory Medal) from WW1 that was in a box along with my grandads.

His service number was 202059 East Surrey Regiment. I have searched several sites and can only find another number (42213 Hertfordshire Regiment). I can find no other information on him but am unsure where to search next. Can anyone please help?

Thanks Cliff.

Edited by Cliff Jeffery

Hi Cliff,

There's a link at the top of the page to the parent site The Long Long Trail where you will find some useful information on researching a soldier.

welcome to the forum

the medal index card confirms he is due a British war medal as well 

Edited by Coldstreamer

Thank you for the replies. I will take a look at the long long trail, it looks interesting.

Coldstreamer, I have this record but I can get no further, as I can't find any other details. I don't know his age, where he was born or anything.

I am not sure why it was with my grandads medals, I have tried searching ancestry to see if he was one of my grandads uncles or some other relative but can find anything.

unfortunately unless someone has a unique name , which he doesn't, with out service papers you will struggle

are you grandads medals ww1?

I think there might be some sort of register for the East Surreys ? Sure some else might confirm

i found it... he isnt on it?!

maybe change the title of the post to include the regiments to draw the experts in 

the medal roll might tell you something - they are on ancestry and at the national archives - I dont have access to either sorry

so you dont fall foul of the rules you need to give credit to where you got the pics from 

ie courtesy of Ancestry etc 

Hi Cliff,

Welcome to the forum.

His 202059 East Surrey Regiment number is associated with the 1917 TF renumber block associated with the line units of the 5th Bn - link. Prior to being issued with a new six digit number, he would have had a shorter (probably four digit) regimental number. The medal rolls only contain details relevant to the issue of medals, rather than giving a complete service history. As a shorter number isn't shown, the implication is that he didn't serve overseas until some time after he was issued with his 6 digit number. Most commonly TF units seem to have issued their 6 digit units numbers based sequentially on their previous shorter regimental numbers. Some papers exist for a 202058 White, which show that he was originally mobilised on 8.9.1916.

With respect to his 42213 Hertfordshire Regiment number, 42210 Smith and 42216 Copeman both appear to have been compulsory transfers 25.8.1918.

2 hours ago, Cliff Jeffery said:

my grandads medals are WW2. I can't find anything in the national archives using his service numbers.

As this is a WW1 related forum, it might be worth considering joining/posting on WW2Talk - link. What's left of his (probably heavily weeded) service file should be held by the MoD, rather than the National Archives. If you would like a copy there is advice on how to go about it here, and a helpdesk phone number here.

Good luck

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Hi Chris, wow, this is great info. I will take a good look at the links and see if I can grasp the concepts. I will join the WW2 forum as well as I have my gradads and my great grandads history to research.

Thanks Cliff.