Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Secunderabad India 1919

josiejo2212

Hi, I'm new to all this and struggling to find info out about my Great Grandfather. All we have is a silver cup from an Army Boxing match in his name which says the following:

SGT John Boswell

6 Round Contest

Sec-Bad India 1919

I have no idea which regiment or anything else. Can anyone help? Who was out in Secunderabad in India in 1919? Can anyone tell me anythign about that period of time or how i could find his regiment?

Thanks

Jo

Silver cup.jpg

Hi Jo

Welcome to the Forum

What more do you know about him. Have the family any of his medals, where and when was he born, who did he marry

To get you started

india.jpg.a497cd6b01b7ae1508b24ecf22d55895.jpg

Dear Corisande

Thank you so much for the clipping! We know very little about him. There are no medals in the family that we know of.

I think his DOB is 1877 with DOD 1931 (25 December he died but I don't have exact birth date). He was born in Birmingham and died in Kings Norton in Birmingham.

He was married to a Laura Deakin 1876-195.

He had 4 girls one of which was my Grandmother.

He had a lot of brothers and sisters one of which was Albert Boswell (DOB 1896) and we think this is a photo of him. It has (we think) PTE Boswell Rifles on the back of this photo, but again that is all we have.

If you can help me with anything else i'd be over the moon If not thank you so much for the cutting about Secunderabad.

Thanks

Jo

Albert Boswell (middle) Rifles we think.jpg

Thanks for the extra info. To crack this sort of problem one needs lots of clues

This is the marriage

boswell-mc.jpg.8350148cba31b502ebe7a624b411d769.jpg

Name: John Boswell
Marital status: Single
Birth Date: 1877
Marriage Date: 26 Aug 1900
Marriage Place: Birmingham, Warwick, England
Father: John Boswell
Spouse: Laura Deakin
Edited by corisande

There is an Ancestry Tree with this photo - click for tree . someone here may be able to expand on this photo

I suspect that it is your tree :-(

boswell-photo.jpg.afcb9c51517abe278002c7c74fb46ae6.jpg

Edited by corisande

There is a Royal Navy Service record of a John Boswell , born 8 Feb 1877 in Birmingham Warwickshire, click for service record -

He served Feb 1893 to Jan 1900

This may be him if Dob is correct

And there is a Pension Card - click on Form 3 - that gives

Sgt John Boswell born about 1876 , married, Ox & Bucks LI number 20074. He had Malaria and a Hernis

Living at 98 Manilla Rd, Selly Park, Birmingham

boswell-medals.JPG.c5e52ea0decf842f2aa7c297e973a5bc.JPG

The service number gives his Regiments in the Medal Rolls

Oh my goodness, you are clearly very good at this!

Yes thats my ancestry records and knew about the marriage doc

The first service recrod stats he finished in 1900 but his cup was from 1919 so I don't think that one is him.

The second one might be though.

Thanks for your help. I just don't know how to be sure it is him?

Jo

Dear All,

Brilliant:-

Corisande for President!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

26 minutes ago, josiejo2212 said:

. I just don't know how to be sure it is him?

Get his Birth Cert

This chap was in 1st Garrison Battalion Ox & Bucks Light Infantry. That is what his Medal Roll says

That battalion were in

Secunderabad in 1918. . You  need to do a bit more work to establish where they were in 1919 - Garrison Battalions do not fae well in regimental histories

india2.JPG.b1e7887b76256ee660fac80d700d1eb0.JPG

53 minutes ago, josiejo2212 said:

The first service record stats he finished in 1900 but his cup was from 1919 so I don't think that one is him.

Oh ye of little faith. I am suggesting that he may have served in the RN from 1893 to 1900. There is a valid birth date given, and you need to check that against your man's birth.

It was quite common for a man to enter, say, the Navy as a boy , then leave. Do other things , then volunteer or be conscripted in WW1 and go into the Army

It is perfectly consistent that he could have left the RN in Jan 1900 and married in Aug 1900

Edited by corisande

• Admin

One of a group transferred from the Worcestershire Regiment on or around 28 September 1915 - to India February 1916 where they remained. His Worcestershire number was probably Special Reserve from October 1914, he may or may not be on the 14/14-15 Star Roll.

As Corisande says they were on Garrison Duty,  Winston Churchill, who was a subaltern in Secunderabad in the 1880s claimed there were 12,000 soldiers there, though not that many in the war.   He described service in India as 'Utterly unattractive ...a useless exile', garrison duty in the Great War continued in much the same vein. Boxing and other sports were always a useful diversion.

Ken

Ken thank you so much. I stumbled across this forum by pure chnace and so glad I did. You've all given me so mcuh information that i didn't know :-)

Jo

Hi Corisande and Ken,

So i went to Moms and she has his birth certificate which gies DOB as 8/91876   and she has death certificate which states DOD 25 Dec 1931. His profession at that point was silversmith. I guess given the DOB it eans the first record you found in Navy is incorrect or does it just mean DB's were likely wrong???

Can you tell me from the record card 20074 what G.B.O and B.L.I means?

Thanks

Jo

17 hours ago, corisande said:

This chap was in 1st Garrison Battalion Ox & Bucks Light Infantry. That is what his Medal Roll says

That is the answer to your question

My feeling is that your BC rues out the RN man being related. When they lie about age, they tend to do it in whole years. So I think you can forget about the RN man

4 hours ago, josiejo2212 said:

For the other photo that you posted showing a man reclining on a bed, it is clear that he is from the Royal Flying Corps, and the man sitting behind him is Royal Army Medical Corps.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 1 month later...

Corisande

Would it be possible to get a copy of the full clip from post #2. Information on No.13 CBI / No.8 Reserve Bn really hard to come by. I have almost nothing of the end of the Bn and the return of the men home. What date is this from ? Don't have any other ref placing No.8 Reserve Bn in the Secunderabd Bde but of course it makes sense.

Interestingly Frederic Smith features elsewhere in my research with the Indian Army on the Suez Canal.

Any further light you can shed on Secunderabad / Trimulgherry would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Duhh... just saw your ref embedded in the clip.

That thread gave me the 2nd October 1919 report...brilliant. Won't hijack this thread anymore. If anyone interested in exploring further pls ping me.

Edited by ddycher

11 hours ago, ddycher said:

Would it be possible to get a copy of the full clip from post #2.

This is the rest of the clip. The source and date is on my post #2

secund.jpg.dee943cc35c3b9a6acab943e0e690a2f.jpg

Thank you Corisande.

Whats your interest here ?

Regards

Dave

1 minute ago, ddycher said:

Whats your interest here ?

None whatsoever :)

I must have been at a loose end that morning

Fair enough. Thanks again.

Regards