Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Cyclist Corps

emam

Hi,

I have a photo of two soldiers who I was told served together in the Army Cycling Corps and are wearing the cap badge. One of them I was told was Robert Haswell who was KIA. 

According to his bible he enlisted as 5670 Pte Haswell, 7th Battalion Durham L.I. he transferred to 1/5th West Yorkshire Regiment and then to the 9th battalion WYR. Date of enlistment 8th April 1915.

His medal card and death records etc, have two different numbers 5980 and 202874, W Yorks. None of his records have the Army Cycle Corps mentioned on them. Would anyone know anything about the ACC and men who later moved to different regiments. Also would the ACC have been part of the DLI.

Robert was billeted in Ropery Road School in Gainsborough in 1915.

Any help would be appreciated.

can you post a picture pls ?

The coloured one is definitely him. I think the other one is also Robert (at the back), but someone else says they are different badges. I think they are both the same, but it's hard to tell as when you enlarge the photo it gets blurry.

1240024722_A5-SS1-269(2)Haswell-Copy.jpg.5dccccbf7fc499d10467e88591ee9a32.jpg1893365581_RobertHaswellphoto.JPG.22b55f5ca4682a7cda4b60b267e4217a.JPG

Edited by emam

Hi

Based on the sequence of service numbers, I believe that Robert Haswell enlisted with the 2/1st Northumbrian Divisional Cyclist Company. The Company was raised at Whitburn Hall between February and April 1915 by Captain Maurice Moore of the Northern Cyclist Battalion, it served with the 63rd (2nd Northumbrian) Division. The Division was broken up on the 21st July 1916. On the 22nd July men from the Company were transferred to the 7th Reserve Battlion of the DLI. On the 26th August 1916, a draft of the Cyclists were posted to the 1/7th DLI and some were then drafted to the 1/5th West Yorks. Those I know to have ended up in the West Yorks had numbers in the range 202807 to at least 202868.

If you have any further details on Robert I'd be grateful if you could post.

Regards

Clive

image.png.2083c8c77444083940f253db57cf2980.pngimage.png.979b21d5f6508aa8d472eeccc33365d2.png

I think the first picture might be places that her served. The second one I'm not sure what the dates are for, maybe when he transferred. He was wounded 28th September 1916  Thiepval and Schuraben? Redou(t?).

Gassed 21st Sept.

Kitchener's memorial service is mentioned. don't know if he just has the date of if he attended it.

Thank you very much for that information, it sounds as if it could be right for Robert.

1 hour ago, owen4256 said:

Hi

Based on the sequence of service numbers, I believe that Robert Haswell enlisted with the 2/1st Northumbrian Divisional Cyclist Company. The Company was raised at Whitburn Hall between February and April 1915 by Captain Maurice Moore of the Northern Cyclist Battalion, it served with the 63rd (2nd Northumbrian) Division. The Division was broken up on the 21st July 1916. On the 22nd July men from the Company were transferred to the 7th Reserve Battlion of the DLI. On the 26th August 1916, a draft of the Cyclists were posted to the 1/7th DLI and some were then drafted to the 1/5th West Yorks. Those I know to have ended up in the West Yorks had numbers in the range 202807 to at least 202868.

If you have any further details on Robert I'd be grateful if you could post.

Regards

Clive

I have just been reading over your post again and comparing the information. It looks like you have solved the puzzle. Thank you again ever so much for your help.

emam