Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Cock o' the Walk" - HMS nickname?

seaJane

I have to hand an image (below) of a warship, captioned "Cock o' the Walk in Action". The only "Cock o' the Walk" I can find is a sailing vessel torpedoed in October '16, and whatever this is it isn't a sailing vessel.

Cock of the Walk.jpg

Does anyone know whether any of the Grand Fleet ships had this as a nickname?

Thanks.

sJ

Edited by seaJane

29 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I have to hand an image (below) of a warship, captioned "Cock o' the Walk in Action". The only "Cock o' the Walk" I can find is a sailing vessel torpedoed in October '16, and whatever this is it isn't a sailing vessel.

Cock of the Walk.jpg

Thanks.

sJ

This term in the navy is normally used for a ship that has won a regatta or other fleet competition.

I am not aware that it was attributed to one particular ship but others may know better.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Not sure they had much time for regattas in 1916 but who knows?

I see MARLBOROUGH features in that link as a 1916 winner, IPT, and there is mention of her in the papers with which the sketch was found, so a possibility. Thanks!

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Thanks Tony. Not sure they had much time for regattas in 1916 but who knows?

It was about this time that The Grand Fleet was secure in Scapa Flow.

There was nothing there for the sailors to do apart from a little fleet recreation, hence it is very likely that they did do these activities even though it was still wartime.

Moral would certainly benefit from this.

Tony

Edited by Talesofaseadog

5 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I see MARLBOROUGH features in that link as a 1916 winner, IPT, and there is mention of her in the papers with which the sketch was found, so a possibility. Thanks!

The sketch does look somewhat like the Marlborough.

Tony

That's good to know - thanks.

17 hours ago, seaJane said:

Cock of the Walk.jpg

Thanks.

sJ

I am a but hesitant as I have had to take a number of looks at the sketch to get a clear idea, It has taken me a while to realise that it is a flag flying from the main mast. I can only see one funnel.

Surely the only WW1  British battleships with one funnel, and superfiring turrets fore and aft were the Revenge/ Royal Oak/ R (same class - different authorities use different names)?

(The quarterdeck is a bit long and/or the fo'c's'le a bit short?)

The drawing is interesting. I had wondered if it referred to gunnery practice, but the drawing shows the ship being near missed by incoming fire.

RM

Thanks Roger. I'll keep thinking!

I'm with rolt968, here.  It looks like an "R" class battleship.  One funnel and has a fore and main mast.  Marlborough and her sisters only had a foremast.  Of the "R" class, only Revenge and Royal Oak were at Jutland, - and it does look like a depiction of a large fleet action. 

4 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

I'm with rolt968, here.  It looks like an "R" class battleship.  One funnel and has a fore and main mast.  Marlborough and her sisters only had a foremast.  Of the "R" class, only Revenge and Royal Oak were at Jutland, - and it does look like a depiction of a large fleet action. 

Thanks. I could remember that Revenge was at Jutland, but not the name of the other.

Could there be any significance in the flag?

RM

Thank you gentlemen. As the artist was aboard REVENGE at Jutland there must be a bit of licence involved, as Royal Oak wasn't nearby.

4 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

Vice-Admiral Cecil Burney moved his flag to REVENGE after MARLBOROUGH was damaged by torpedo fire.

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

the artist was aboard REVENGE at Jutland

Maybe it's Revenge. He may have felt that his ship was the best ship and therefore the cock of the walk.

It's not as if he whipped out his sketch book during the battle (hopefully).

I can promise you he didn't. Hope I may be able to post a link in the future but can't say more now.

18 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Thanks. I could remember that Revenge was at Jutland, but not the name of the other.

RM

I hadn't spotted the flag.  Not sure as to meaning,  It could be the "white pendant",  But it doesn't have the form of a pendant, as its more of a "burgee". Without a copy of the fleet signals for 1916, I'm lost.  Its not Jellico's flag signal "Equal Speed Charlie London" BTW,  which is almost as famous as "England Expects" in some circles...

BTW,  Vice Admiral Burney's flag would be the white ensign with a red dot replacing the union in the upper canton 

Edited by Gunner Hall
just keeping up with the conversation!

I'm assuming the flag hasn't been drawn square on but distorted by flapping in the wind. It's a very sketchy sketch, not a fully-worked up piece :)

According to a Bultler & Lambert cigarette card

The term "Cock of the Fleet" has been applied to the leading ship in competitive exercises, regattas etc., for over a hundred years. Its origin dates from the "Battle of the Saints" of April 12th 1782. This is explained in extracts from a letter written by an officer who fought in HMS Formidable that day: "A shot from the Ville de Paris struck a hen-coop that had been left out on the spar deck. Out from the ruins of his home fluttered a little bantam cock and impudently perched himself on the rail of the poop. As every broadside poured into the Ville de Paris, he cheered the crew with his shrill clarion…Admiral Rodney was charmed and gave orders that the bird should be petted for the rest of his life.

Edited by KizmeRD

Great stuff!