Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Police officers: wound stripes and overseas chevrons in uniform in civilian attire

Ed Matthews

Ed

You'll probably know that the fearsome looking GMP Sgt (Alf Foster) with the scar was a Grenadier Guardsman in WW1.

Great to see that the good folk of Collyhurst remember him even nowaday as he was featured on a recent muriel* there

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/who-scarface-alf-star-huge-17445739

* typo intentional with due regards to Hilda Ogden

Edited by Hywyn

On 17/01/2020 at 16:19, Glengarry1950 said:

Hi Troops,

Police Sergeant William Mackintosh (relative) joined Haddington Police age 19 on 1st May 1908, he advanced to 1st Grade 3rd Class Constable in 1914, continued until resigning for the purpose of joining the Army 12 March 1917, on his short service papers, previous military service Vol Bn 7th Royal Scots 7 years, sent to Fort George Inverness joined the Seaforth Highlanders, Reg No S/21059 landed in France 30.7.17 posted 8th Seaforth's 'C' Coy Wounded in Action 27th August 1917, Hospital, returned home convalescent Discharged no longer fit for military service 26 May 1919. Re-joined Police, Photograph with dog E Div Haddington Police and second photograph A Div Edinburgh Police 1928, although he would have qualified for a wound Stripe none displayed as per regulations, but medal ribands are, WW1 War & Victory Medals and George V 1911 Coronation Medal.

Best

Hiram

PS William Mackintosh ECP A Div 1928.png

PC William MacKintosh or McIntosh with Police Dog Baron.jpg

Are you saying the man with the dog is the same man as the one at the centre of the group photo?.  Pete.

Yes why?

Hi Peter,

I have his complete police service record and his collar number 596E corresponds with his record, however, on his Attesting papers states 7 years with Volunteers 7th Royal Scots, I have a picture of him as a piper in said units Pipers and Drums in Haddington, his service number S/21059 Attested 26 Nov 1915, Army Reserve 27 Nov 1915, Mobilized 18 Mar 1917. The picture as a Sergeant is from the Police Museum in Edinburgh. I can not find any overseas service with the Volunteers prior to his Police service, which is accurate listing all the date and stating resigned to join the Army then re-enlisted after Army service, transferred from E Division to A Division with new collar No, all his promotion dates, discipline, monetary awards for catching robbers, lose of seniority for drinking and late on duty etc, so quite detailed. Medal:- General Service, Victory and King George Coronation, now I believe the General service they refer to is the War Medal. Back to the photograph I see where you are coming from it does look like the IGS medal riband, but I believe its just a trick of the light and it is a poor copy and enlarging it is of little help. However, I have no doubt it is William Mackintosh he married my Great Grandfathers elder brothers daughter, and he joined the Seaforth Highlanders because my GGF served with them from 1881 until 1889, the 23 years a miner joined up at age 47, in Sept 1915, landed in France Oct 1915, with 183 Tunnelling Company RE served until injured in Jan 1918.

Cheers

Hiram

20 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Because the medal ribbons don't match.  Pete.

6 hours ago, Glengarry1950 said:

...Medal:- General Service, Victory and King George Coronation, now I believe the General service they refer to is the War Medal. Back to the photograph I see where you are coming from it does look like the IGS medal riband, but I believe its just a trick of the light and it is a poor copy and enlarging it is of little help...

I think I may see why the ribband bar in the standing photo doesn't initially seem to match his actual medals in the seated photo. I believe it's upside-down...

1 hour ago, Andrew Upton said:

I think I may see why the ribband bar in the standing photo doesn't initially seem to match his actual medals in the seated photo. I believe it's upside-down...

Hi Andrew,

Spot on, well done you, outstanding observation. Once you are told it becomes so obvious, I have search through quite a lot of sites and records trying to see if he had done overseas service with the Volunteers. Problem solved thank you.

Best

Hiram

1 hour ago, Andrew Upton said:

Andrew, well spotted. I've stared at that ribbon bar over and over again and could not figure it out. Nice one.  Pete.

On 15/01/2020 at 23:14, GWF1967 said:

Thanks for posting; this one is superb. 

I’d wait till he’d finished his shift before I went out on the rob!

This is what Victor McLaglen would have looked

like if he had starred in Dixon of Dock Green. 

7 hours ago, Gunboat said:

This is what Victor McLaglen would have looked

like if he had starred in Dixon of Dock Green. 

I wonder how Sgt. Alf Foster would have fared in the ring with Jack Johnson?

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

I wonder how Sgt. Alf Foster would have fared in the ring with Jack Johnson?

I doubt Jack Johnson would have dared get in the ring with Sgt Alf Foster! 

I have a feeling that one or the other, or both, of the wound badges and the Overseas Chevrons, were expressly permitted for civilian wear.

Thus it would have been difficult to deny the policeman his, in that a confrontation outside a pub could proceed to "and where were you in the war cocker?"

58 minutes ago, Gunboat said:

I doubt Jack Johnson would have dared get in the ring with Sgt Alf Foster! 

:D

• 4 months later...
On 21/01/2020 at 22:29, Glengarry1950 said:

Hi Peter,

I have his complete police service record and his collar number 596E corresponds with his record, however, on his Attesting papers states 7 years with Volunteers 7th Royal Scots, I have a picture of him as a piper in said units Pipers and Drums in Haddington, his service number S/21059 Attested 26 Nov 1915, Army Reserve 27 Nov 1915, Mobilized 18 Mar 1917. The picture as a Sergeant is from the Police Museum in Edinburgh. I can not find any overseas service with the Volunteers prior to his Police service, which is accurate listing all the date and stating resigned to join the Army then re-enlisted after Army service, transferred from E Division to A Division with new collar No, all his promotion dates, discipline, monetary awards for catching robbers, lose of seniority for drinking and late on duty etc, so quite detailed. Medal:- General Service, Victory and King George Coronation, now I believe the General service they refer to is the War Medal. Back to the photograph I see where you are coming from it does look like the IGS medal riband, but I believe its just a trick of the light and it is a poor copy and enlarging it is of little help. However, I have no doubt it is William Mackintosh he married my Great Grandfathers elder brothers daughter, and he joined the Seaforth Highlanders because my GGF served with them from 1881 until 1889, the 23 years a miner joined up at age 47, in Sept 1915, landed in France Oct 1915, with 183 Tunnelling Company RE served until injured in Jan 1918.

Cheers

Hiram

Would you be kind enough to post the photo you have of him in the uniform of a Piper of the 7th Bn. Royal Scots?

Many thanks.

Ron