Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

mickey selcon

Army Service Corps France 1914

mickey selcon

I am researching an officer, (2nd Lt WHEATER) from the ASC whose medal index roll identifies that he deployed to France on 05/11/14. He qualified for the 1914 Star and bar, indicating he had been under enemy fire during this period but I can't find any information about which unit he would have served with. as a starting point,can anyone help me with which ASC units deployed to France on this date? 

Thanks 

Mike

Coldstreamer

dont forget he might have gone over as a reinforcement and not with a whole unit

MaxD

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-army-service-corps-in-the-first-world-war/ and the links from there show just how many ASC units of one sort or another went to France .  The section entitled The Organisation of the ASC reinforces the point that many units went as units under different levels of higher command,  other ASC men went with other cap badged units and, as said, others still went as individuals.  I fear your question is unanswerable (always ready to be proved wrong though!)

Odd that his officer's record does not appear to be at Kew..

Max

mickey selcon

Hi 

I thought this might be the case. 2nd Lt WHEATER was a pre war regular, having joined the ASC in about 1897. He rose through the ranks and was commissioned in August 1914 just after was was declared, but as you pointed out, for some reason I could find no trace of his service record.

We do know that from at least April 1916 to 14/11/1917 he served as adjutant with 41 Divisional Train and it is likely that he served with them prior to April 1916 as they were preparing to deploy to France with 41st Division.

On 14/11/1917 he was transferred to 6th Advanced Horse Transport Depot, (1045 Coy ASC), where from the first pages of the War Diary  he appears to have became the OC of the unit, who travelled to Italy, arriving at Arquata Scriver on the 23rd of November 1917, where they set up their new base.

His Medal Index Roll shows that he became CO of the MT Evacuation depot Milan at some point , I would assume at the end of the War before he was repatriated.

The hunt for his first operational units goes on, as does the search for his units Italian War Diaries that I can't seem to trace - do you have any idea as to where I may find them?

Thanks and best regards

Mike

MaxD

1045 Coy at the National Archives - not digitised https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557415

Can't turn up anything on the last unit at NA.

You'll' have seen the medical record in the Millbank hospital from 3 Mar 1915 to 17 Mar 1915 with neurasthenia??  Only says ASC.

Max

MaxD

Shot in the dark on the hunch that the ASC in house journals may record promotions:

The RLC digital archive produces a number of hits for Wheater in the years 1910-1916 (I set those limits) in Journals/Gazettes ;https://www.rlcarchive.org/JournalRan

From this list it is a pay as you go process - worth a punt perhaps??  Haven't used the archive for some time but I don't recall it being expensive.

Max

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

We are discussing  2/Lt. (later Major) John Bew Wheater MC  I assume?

MIC

mickey selcon

Yes, a very interesting story!

mickey selcon

The RLC site is quite good, got a fair bit of info but still questions remain unanswered!!

MaxD

I'm out of ideas - good luck!

Max

mickey selcon

Thanks Max really appreciate your help

Best regards

mike

Waggoner

Poking around Ancestry, I found this - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/1030/?name=_Wheater&birth=1877&name_x=1_1

Same family? Worth investigating? I am surprised that the ASC Journals or LG doesn’t provide the dates of promotion. Does his MC citation appear in the LG?

All the best,

Gary

Waggoner

The LG has several entries for him. Couldn’t find the MC entry but found a MiD in 1919. He was with No. 3 Aux. Pack Train.

All the best,

Gary

Waggoner

Update...MC Edinburg Gazette 1January 1917.

All the best,

Gary

mickey selcon

Hi Gary

This is great, I've now traced all the LG and ASC Journals, (I think!!) and it appears that the MC was awarded as part of the New Years Honours List 1917. In these circumstances I believe that there would not be any citation recorded, although someone somewhere must have recommended him for the award for 'service 'above and beyond the call of duty'- no idea where this might be recorded though!

once again thanks for your help and best regards

mike

MaxD

Post a new thread referring to "annotated MC record", member Graeme may be able to help there.

Max

mickey selcon

Thanks Max