Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unauthorised Wearing of Ribbon

andrew pugh

Good Morning

Does anybody know where i could get a copy or view a copy of the Army Order which is related to the unauthorised wearing of the ribbon for the 1914 Star ( Mons Star).I think it comes under Paragraph 1.738 Kings Regulations (which deals with wearing of the ribbon pending the issue of the medal) It was mentioned in the Times May 27th 1918 page 5; Issue 41800; col E; Article CS85527227.

Hope someone can help.I am trying to find out when the ribbon was issued to soldiers of the 24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers who were part of the 5th Infantry Brigade. The other 2 battalions who made up the 5th Brigade were the 2nd Ox & Bucks who received theirs on the 28th February 1918 and the 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry who were issued theirs on the 20th March 1918. Do you think any records survive that will show when the 24th Battalion received theirs. I have looked through the battalion war diary for the 24th Battalion including the appendixes and cannot find any mention. I am finishing my case work for a soldier who I strongly believe is my Great Uncle who when found had the following items on the remains 2 wound stripes. Mons Ribbon. We have a photograph of him wearing 2 wound stripes on his tunic and evidence proving he was wounded.He landed in France on the 4/12/1914 as a Special Reservist of the Royal Fusiliers.He would have missed the cut off date for this award by about 10 days but could have been issued the ribbon by mistake,hence my main question. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Kind Regards

Andy   

the ribbon of the 1914 star and 1914/15 star are the same  so you cant distinguish from ribbon alone

Thank you for your reply Coldstreamer.

He was killed on the 24/03/1918,and i am aware that the ribbons are identical. Once again thanks for your reply.

Kind Regards

Andy