Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Out 2 April: Endell Street Military Hospital - new book by Wendy Moore

seaJane

I hope it's okay to post this, given that I'm acquainted with the author ...

Endell Street: the trailblazing women who ran World War One’s most remarkable military hospital, is written by author and journalist Wendy Moore. It is published in the UK by Atlantic (out 2 April) and the US by Basic Books (out 28 April).

Endell Street Military Hospital was set up and run in the heart of London by suffragettes Flora Murray and Louisa Garrett Anderson. Murray and Anderson first set up a hospital in Claridge’s Hotel Paris in September 1914. Army officials were so impressed by their success that they asked the women to run a hospital at Wimereux near Boulogne, and then – in May 1915 – to open a 573-bed hospital in Endell Street, Covent Garden. Staffed entirely by women, apart from a dozen or so male RAMC orderlies, Endell Street treated more than 26,000 wounded soldiers throughout the war. It remained open to treat the victims of Spanish Flu and was one of the last military hospitals to close in London at the end of 1919. The first full-length study of this remarkable hospital is generously illustrated with contemporary photographs.

sJ

Edited by seaJane

• 4 months later...

Sounds interesting enough as a source for my project… is France (Wimereux and Boulogne) also treated in the book, or does is focus solely on Endell Street???

M.

Amazon also suggests me another book but it seems to be the same: No Man's Land: The Trailblazing Women Who Ran Britains Most Extraordinary Military Hospital During World War I            

834656764_415uc5fpgTL__SX320_BO1204203200_.jpg.e75de3bbaa6c0de9fafb0c002a5acd95.jpg

M.

Is "No Man's Land" the American issue of the book?

• Hardcover: 368 pages
  • Publisher: Hachette USA (28 April 2020)

• Hardcover: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Atlantic Books; Main edition (2 April 2020)

Edited by mbriscoe

My copy's just arrived, so it's on the "To Read" pile!

I'm sure that I saw somewhere that "No Man's Land" is the American issue of the book, although I can't remember where!

3 hours ago, The Scorer said:

My copy's just arrived, so it's on the "To Read" pile!

I'm sure that I saw somewhere that "No Man's Land" is the American issue of the book, although I can't remember where!

I posted it in another thread about this book - when it had just been published :) . The American title is indeed No Man's Land.

Can someone tell me where in Endell Street the hospital was, please?

I've walked through the street a couple of times before I knew about this, and have also just had a look on Google Maps, but nothing looks appropriate. 

Thanks. 

on Ebay there are some photographs of this hospital, for sale, however given the number of photos for sale and the price being requested you will need to want them badly!!

50 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

I've walked through the street a couple of times before I knew about this, and have also just had a look on Google Maps, but nothing looks appropriate. 

Thanks. 

The second map down shows the workhouse which became the hospital in WWI.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/StGiles/

Also can be seen at the left hand side of here between Shorts Gardens and Broad Street.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/103313321

• Admin

My copy arrived today. It looks very good 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

It was very good! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 04/06/2020 at 16:25, The Scorer said:

Thanks. 

If you get there can you give a nod to a couple of my ancestors who were there when it was a workhouse? It's quite shocking to find such stuff in your family history but that's what makes history what it is. 

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

If you get there can you give a nod to a couple of my ancestors who were there when it was a workhouse? It's quite shocking to find such stuff in your family history but that's what makes history what it is. 

Bit late in the day and long gone now, but

https://www.londonremembers.com/memorials/military-hospital

18 hours ago, kenf48 said:

Thanks for that. I remember passing it in I think the 70's and it was only much later I found the family connection to it.

On 07/09/2020 at 19:09, Gunner Bailey said:

Yes, I'll try to remember to do this, whenever it may be.

On 07/09/2020 at 19:44, kenf48 said:

Thanks - that's very useful.