Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Great War (2019)

ilkley remembers

Just like buses films about the First World War appear to travel in pairs and predating ‘1917’ by a week or so is this little offering from American director Steven Luke called The Great War. Set in the closing days of the war it follows a small unit of soldiers sent by General Jack Pershing on a mission/ quest/ odyssey to find a platoon of ‘Buffalo Soldiers’ of the US 92nd Division lost behind enemy lines. Apparently this is based on a true event but for reasons which I am not entirely sure, the task must be accomplished before the Armistice in 11th November. The film doesn’t appear to have been put on general release here in the UK but is featured on Virgin’s new releases.

American reviewers have not compared The Great War favourably with the Mendes film, indeed it is fair to say that it has been universally panned for its poor production values, dodgy script and wooden acting.  I haven’t bothered with it but if you have Virgin Cable it can be bought via pay per view/on demand for £4.99.

Thanks for the warning! Doesn't sound like they need to practice any speeches for Oscars night.

John

• Admin

I have just watched the trailer on Amazon Prime and it may be one to watch. There appears to be a very definite them and us element being exploited in terms of the colour of the US troops. I have no doubt there are many things wrong with it historically, but it is a film intended for the majority audience. BTW on Prime it is The Great War (2020).

Apologies, I take it all back.

John

Only 3.5 out of 10 average rating on

IMDB

from 315 votes.  But 41 of those still gave it 10 out of 10 (something I've never awarded any film), though 93 gave it one.

That average is one of the lowest I've ever seen. And many of the reviews are scathing.

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker