Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

trenchwalker

1st Royal Scots Fusiliers MM 1918

trenchwalker

I’ve just purchased my first MM medal set something I’ve always wanted to tell the story of one man . 

I have the MM for Reginald howitt rsf 

he is Gazzetted at the end of January 1919

a newspaper cutting says he received it for the taking of a railway cutting .

ive looked through the war diary can’t find a mention of him as far as I can see 

he was in hospital at the start of 1918 I’m just trying to find the action 

EDWARD1

According to the Great War Medal Collectors Companion,  Howard Williamson the LG 24th Jan 1919 are awards for Battle of Amiens 8/8 to 3/9 1918.(and Italian Campaigns)

The WD for the 3rd Div 8th Inf Bgde " Report on Operations 18th-23rd August 1918. The objective allotted to the Bgde was the capture of the ARRAS- BAPAUME RAILWAY East of COURCELLES on a frontage of 1800yds between points A22b3.9 and A10d7.3. 1st RSF on the Right and the 7th KSLI on the Left.(

Coldstreamer

It's very common for other ranks not to be recorded in war diaries 

trenchwalker

I know however there is one or two mentioned in it. 

Edward cheers gives me something to work with

david murdoch
9 hours ago, trenchwalker said:

I’ve just purchased my first MM medal set something I’ve always wanted to tell the story of one man . 

I have the MM for Reginald howitt rsf 

he is Gazzetted at the end of January 1919

a newspaper cutting says he received it for the taking of a railway cutting .

ive looked through the war diary can’t find a mention of him as far as I can see 

he was in hospital at the start of 1918 I’m just trying to find the action 

Seeing that newspaper article in BNA giving father's name and also three brothers who also served. Those names leading to several family trees on Ancestry. Reginald being the youngest of four brothers and born abt.1897, Bulwell, Nottinghamshire. Not seeing a date/location of death for him. On the 1911 Census he was aged 14 and living with his parents in Alfreton, Derbyshire He was a butcher's assistant (working with his father). Not seeing him on a casualty list, and he appears to have only had the one service number 201354.

trenchwalker
20 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

Seeing that newspaper article in BNA giving father's name and also three brothers who also served. Those names leading to several family trees on Ancestry. Reginald being the youngest of four brothers and born abt.1897, Bulwell, Nottinghamshire. Not seeing a date/location of death for him. On the 1911 Census he was aged 14 and living with his parents in Alfreton, Derbyshire He was a butcher's assistant (working with his father). Not seeing him on a casualty list, and he appears to have only had the one service number 201354.

Looking at the family tree his parents emigrated to Australia in 1914 which is interesting 

david murdoch
11 hours ago, trenchwalker said:

Looking at the family tree his parents emigrated to Australia in 1914 which is interesting 

Tree I'm looking at has his father Walter dying 1939 in Nottingham. His eldest brother (Walter) Evelyn Howitt appears to have married in UK pre war then moved to Australia  There is a passenger list for him travelling alone to USA in May 1918, but giving him as being Australian resident and contact address (wife) in Perth Australia. Quick check of the records shows he was not in Australian Forces.

Regarding Reginald - the closest match I've found for him is one born (Basford district) Nottingham third quarter of 1896. Married to Doris Elizabeth Quinn 2nd quarter 1928 (Basford). They then show up in the 1939 register as living in Oxford and this gives DoB for Reginald as 18/8/1896. In turn this man died Headington, Oxford 1974 aged 77. Doris Elizabeth Howitt died 1978.They are buried together in Headington Cemetery Oxford. 

Where did you buy the MM? Oxford area may be a pointer. The couple mentioned had at least one son Peter b.1935 d.1995

trenchwalker
1 hour ago, david murdoch said:

Tree I'm looking at has his father Walter dying 1939 in Nottingham. His eldest brother (Walter) Evelyn Howitt appears to have married in UK pre war then moved to Australia  There is a passenger list for him travelling alone to USA in May 1918, but giving him as being Australian resident and contact address (wife) in Perth Australia. Quick check of the records shows he was not in Australian Forces.

Regarding Reginald - the closest match I've found for him is one born (Basford district) Nottingham third quarter of 1896. Married to Doris Elizabeth Quinn 2nd quarter 1928 (Basford). They then show up in the 1939 register as living in Oxford and this gives DoB for Reginald as 18/8/1896. In turn this man died Headington, Oxford 1974 aged 77. Doris Elizabeth Howitt died 1978.They are buried together in Headington Cemetery Oxford. 

Where did you buy the MM? Oxford area may be a pointer. The couple mentioned had at least one son Peter b.1935 d.1995

The MM has passed around a lot but I have  letters from his home guard unit in Oxford pretty good lot

david murdoch
26 minutes ago, trenchwalker said:

The MM has passed around a lot but I have  letters from his home guard unit in Oxford pretty good lot

So right chap then! I spotted in one of the other newspapers his MM is listed beside another 1st RSF 16972 Sgt (A/Co.S.M.) W. Gordon, Derby. Actually MM and bar. He was demobbed 16/4/1919.