Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with information on Pte W Peck Cheshire R/S Lancs

Sgt Stripes

Hi. Could anyone help with information on 8412 Pte William Peck. This is all that I have on him so far. His MIC states landed France 16.1.1915 2nd Cheshire Reg other unit 65959 South Lancs, Discharged 21.1.1919. Medal rolls for the1915 star states under South Lancs awarded 2nd Cheshire's, War and Victory medals under South Lancs awarded 2nd Cheshire's. SWB roll Pte 65959 South Lancs aged 30years. Forces war records states entitled to wear a wound stripe report date 24.5.1918 plus one other mention War office daily list NO5618 15.7.1918 wounded. I know he must have served in India before the War with the 2nd Cheshire's and that is the date they landed in France but I am trying to find out if he was in Salonika with them and was wounded there, The date 24.5.1918 could mean that he was wounded at the actions of 14/15 April 1918 at KUMLI and KJUPRI where the Cheshire's had 1 Officer KIA,1 DOW, 2 Wounded and 1 missing plus 7 ORS KIA, 34 wounded and 82 missing. I would like to prove that Pte Peck was one of the original members of the 2nd Cheshire's that survived the 1915 Battles of Gravenstafel, St Julien, Hill 60, Frezenberg, Bellewaerde and the Battle of Loos, "All Battle honours won by the 2nd". If I can prove that he was wounded out in Salonika with the 2nd he was a very lucky man to have survived such dreadful Battle unscathed . He must have been born either in 1888- 1889 due to him being aged 30 when discharged. His address being Warrington but I have found no one on the 1901 census that matches.  Any information no matter how small would really help. Many Thanks

Edited by Sgt Stripes

FMP has 8412 not 6412.

George

Many thanks George for the correct number. My post has been correct.