Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA 93 Bde Lieut. Stavely-Dale

Sandra Reed-Jennings

I am researching Roland George Stavely-Dale,  Index Card for R G Stavely-Dale 93 Bde Lieut, and 20 Div. Capt. Spelling of name has been changed to Staveley Dale

The next entry is 12 Group RAF Capt. dated May 1915. 

He is recorded on the 1939 Register (twice) as an engineer (retired Major Army) in Kensington and also at a Hotel in Surrey. There is no Regt. No.

He did make 3 trips 1930's to Africa. 

Trying to find out more information on him, please.

Great War Forum.PNG

There is an RAF Service Card held at the National Archive under reference AIR 76/120/180  and showing him as Roland George Staveley-Dale, with a date of birth of the 22nd January 1883.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8251761

Reading between the watermarks on the preview version it looks like his permanent address was 238 Hickham Lane, Streatham, London, S.W.16. His next of kin was his sister,  Maud Staveley-Dale of the same address. It looks like he transferred to the RAF at its founding on the 1st April 1918 but I was struggling to see any prior service with the Royal Flying Corps. He seems to have served with various Training Units rather than going overseas. When the Census of the RFC and RNAS men was taken it was noted that he knew Africa well and spoke (a) native language. Used to organisation and handling of large numbers of men. It was also noted he had the South African Medal 1900 - 1902. His occupation in civilian life was Mining and Civil Engineer for a company in the Belgium Congo. 

It may be a co-incidence but the Anglo-Boer War website lists a R.G. Staveley who received the Transport Medal as the 1st Officer aboard the Cunard line ship Catalonia.

I came across two travel records - probably two of the three known to you.

In 1919 a Captain R.G. Staveley-Dale sailed from Liverpool aboard the Elmina bound for Sekondi - Takoradi on the Gold Coast (Ghana). In 1935 a 49 year old Major R.G. Staveley-Dale sailed from Liverpool aboard the Appam bound for Lagos, Nigeria. (Note that age would place his date of birth as c1886 - which is at variance with the RAF record.)

I couldn't see a likely birth record in England and Wales for either Roland or his sister, nor a marriage or a death in those two countries for either. A London Gazette search for both only brings up his appointment as a Second Lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery in 1915, so no joy there as to when and where they might have passed away.

Hope that helps,

Peter

I note in 1939 the note on the side says "Ret asst com police col". Make of that what you will but I would say retired assistant commissioner of police and the final word might be "colonial" but pure supposition. 

Electoral Registers and Marriage index show he married Gladys Wood 3Q 1934. Registered Paddington.

You can pick him up in electoral registers in London: Wandsworth just after war and Paddington1924, 1933-1937 Paddington with Gladys, 1945-8 Kensington with Gladys. 1958-1961 with Maud in Kensington. So alive until at least 1961.

Edited by Mark1959

Looks as if he came back to UK very early 1915 - 3/1/15 arrival. Engineer working in Belgian Congo. according to ship manifest - entry for Roland GS Dale. His commission followed shortly thereafter. 

Think I have tracked down his family. Details a bit later. 

Edited by Mark1959

That's fantastic Mark, I did find a Major Geoffrey Stavely-Dale phone number 3 Princes Square, also a death for Geoffrey 1961 in Wandsworth. I noticed on the medal record there was a mention of Cork, I did find a R G Staveley born in Dublin 1847, ship crew member, Engineer. I did find it strange that he is also in 1939 registered at the Ashley Park Hotel in Surrey, as well as Kensington.

Maybe he emigrated to South Africa (as my great Aunt did late 1920's.) or he was born there as you say. He did get fined heavily £5 for a motoring offence in Bray, Berkshire in a rush to get to the front, 1915.

On FamilySearch.org there is a mention of a Sally Hunter born 1960. Mother Stavely-Dale. it is such an unusual name but found nothing further.

He did seem to have a varied military career. I did see on NA mention of a reserve Naval Officer in WW2, who went to France, but not digitised, although would have thought he would have been too old.

Once again your help much appreciated.

The address in the 1930s electoral register for Roland is 8 Princes Square, Paddington. Geoffrey is not a number 3. 

My logic starts with an entry in the 1958 electoral register this Maud M, Myrtle and Roland G all at 11 Conyers Road Wandsworth/Streatham. Myrtle not there in 1959, 1960 or 1961.

As we know Roland had a sister Maud. This led me to look for a family with a Myrtle, Maud and Roland in

This led to a family in Axminster, Somerset in the 1891 census where we have

George 39

Louisa S 39

Maud M 13

Rowland G 9

Myrtle 4

+ the wife's brother and 2 sevants

This gives Rowland G's  birthplace as Grosmont, Monmouthshire (Nr Abergavenny). Given where Grosmont is there is a birth reg for Roland George Dale 1st Quarter 1882 - that may well be the same person. The reg in Hereford 15 miles from Grosmont. This would make his dob on the RAF record 1 year out but in the right quarter of the year

The same family are in Grosmont in 1881 census. The father is a GP. 

In 1901 the family are still in Axmister. Roland is gone and another child Dorothy is there aged 8. 

In 1911 the family are at 178 Mitcham Lane. Parents and 3 girls. This appears to be the same street that Stavely-Dale has as his address (238, Mitcham Lane) on the RAF record. 

So we have no record of Roland via GB census after 1891.  Still searching but have some leads

Edited by Mark1959

4 hours ago, Sandra Reed-Jennings said:

I did find a R G Staveley born in Dublin 1847, ship crew member, Engineer.

Maybe explains the South Afria War Transport medal - I though you're man seemed a bit young to have made First Officer, especially on a Cunard Line ship.

15 hours ago, PRC said:

It may be a co-incidence but the Anglo-Boer War website lists a R.G. Staveley who received the Transport Medal as the 1st Officer aboard the Cunard line ship Catalonia.

Maybe he emigrated to South Africa (as my great Aunt did late 1920's.) or he was born there as you say.

On his RAF record there is reference possibility to familiarity with Western and Central Africa - I can't make it out through the watermark on the preview version. Considering there is a match for him sailing in 1919 to the Gold Coast, (modern day Ghana) and in 1935 to Nigeria, plus the known work in the Belgium Congo, that would seem to be a more likely area that he spent much of his working life. Additionally births in South Africa and Rhodesia from the late Victorian \ early Edwardian era are becoming increasingly well covered on familysearch so, while it's not impossible, all the known variations on surname - Stavely \ Staveley \ Dale \ Stavely-Dale \ Staveley-Dale don't bring up Roland or his sister Maud - well at least not for me :)

I see on the 1935 trip his rank is given as Major. I can't see that from his Great War service or in the London Gazette. From my understanding of the period, the few white colonial administrators in places like Nigeria were also expected to double up as officers in the locally raised militia regiments, so possibly the bump in rank relates to that.

I see from a notice in the supplement to the London Gazette of May 5, 1922 of officers relinquishing their commissions, (reprinted in the edition of The Times dated Monday, May 8, 1922), that he did temporarily rejoin the Army.

REGULAR FORCES

ROYAL REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY.

R.H. AND R.F.A. – Temp. Capt. R.G. Staveley-Dale, relinquishes his commn. on completion of service (June 14, 1919), and retains the rank of Captain; Capt. R.G. Staveley-Dale, late R.F.A., to be temp. Capt. (Dec. 15,1920) and to relinquish the rank of Captain; Temp. Capt. R.G. Staveley-Dale relinquishes his commn. on completion of service (Mar. 29), and retains the rank of Captain.

I did find it strange that he is also in 1939 registered at the Ashley Park Hotel in Surrey, as well as Kensington.

Do the dates of birth tie up with the one shown on his RAF record? Presumably his marital status is still given as single?

15 hours ago, PRC said:

There is an RAF Service Card held at the National Archive under reference AIR 76/120/180  and showing him as Roland George Staveley-Dale, with a date of birth of the 22nd January 1883.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8251761

Additional snippets from the Times

City News in Brief Thursday, December 5 1929.

Mr. John Remer, M.P., has joined the board of Penhalonga West (Rhodesia), Limited and Major R.G. Staveley-Dale has been appointed chairman.

Tuesday, October 4. 1932.

A legal notice signed by Major R.G. Staveley-Dale, the chairman of Penhalonga West (Rhodesia), Limited stated the company was being split, with one part going into voluntary liquidation.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

A Roland George Dale born Grosmont enlisted as 21893 in Paget's Horse Imperial Yeomanry on 28/1/1901 in London for service in the Boer War. NoK Father Cheddar, Somerset. He states already in the 4th Volunteer Battalion East Surrey Regiment. Discharged 28/6/1902 to take up civil employment. This was with the Geldenhuis Estate Gold Mining Company; scrawled on the record. Seems to have the Queens South Africa Medal with 5 of the general clasps. 

So assuming the person identified in the census is RGSD than he served in the Boer War and looked to stay in South Africa on discharge, His early 1901 enlistment explains his absence in the 1901 census.

As we think he came back in 1915 he may well have stayed in South Africa until then. One transcribed record has him as a Lieutentant in the ESR and might explain his immediate commission in 1915.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27248/page/7141 - right hand side that shows the 4th ESR Volunteer Battalion

This indicates why Myrtle is missing after 1958 register https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/41518/page/6231

Myrtle and Maud were living in Bristol in 1939 (born, according to that) 8/2/87 and 14/6/78 (I believe 1877) 

The mother's maiden name was Louisa Strange Wilson so not sure where the Stavel(e)y comes from

Can I add at this point you must satisfy yourself that the research is valid and without error. In this game it is easy to be led down the wrong path, 

edit

Also relevant

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29157/supplement/4510

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29426/supplement/121

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29439/page/629

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29451/supplement/1084

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31271/page/4423

Edited by Mark1959

• 1 year later...
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Sandra Reed-Jennings Hasn't visited the forum for 18months, hopefully she will receive a notification as I've tagged her. 

Michelle