Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNVR blazer badge

temari

I would like help regarding a photo of man wearing a blazer with a badge on the pocket showing RNVR.  I've found online images of RNVR badges but they are not identical to this image. There are small differences.   Does anyone know if this badge is correct?    Is there an online source of info about these badges?  Thanks for any help.

RNVR blazer badge.jpg

It’s a fairly standard design that makes use of one of Britain’s oldest maritime emblems, the Tudor Naval Crown.  Less expensive versions were in red silk and premium ones in gold bullion wire. The main manufacturing variation was the use or not of full stops to separate the letters.

Your photo is from the 1930s and so post-WW1.

EE2A0E86-6621-4B8B-8B94-7148E9FF6789.jpeg

72001A21-9B37-42A1-BBFF-D094961A6D71.jpeg

191BDE79-8BBE-491E-BFF4-53656ED1C9E3.jpeg

3F553469-050C-4C03-8D24-3A117043B9F8.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you - that's very helpful.

The differences I noticed were...

a) the tiny flags appeared to be missing, although that could be due to poor image definition

b) the lettering on the blazer badge is in a curved plane, whereas all other examples I've seen are in a straight line.

I've no idea if these are significant differences or if there's any discretion on the part of manufacturers about such things. We are trying to establish whether this is a true/correct badge or something that was created for show.

best

Anne H.

13 minutes ago, temari said:

Thank you - that's very helpful.

The differences I noticed were...

a) the tiny flags appeared to be missing, although that could be due to poor image definition

b) the lettering on the blazer badge is in a curved plane, whereas all other examples I've seen are in a straight line.

I've no idea if these are significant differences or if there's any discretion on the part of manufacturers about such things. We are trying to establish whether this is a true/correct badge or something that was created for show.

best

Anne H.

They are just manufacturers variations, Anne.  That is quite common with many badges.  The accurate designs are recorded by the College of Arms, who are the Crown’s authority for such matters.

The Tudor Naval Crown was not the only emblem used by the RNVR. Just like other parts of the Royal Navy the ‘fouled anchor’ surrounded by a naval rope and surmounted by a crown was also used as a blazer badge.  The RNVR was merged into the Royal Naval Reserve in 1958.

AB35B63E-A4CE-4411-9D1F-522022214A24.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE