Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Online source for aerial reconnaissance images?

Buffnut453

Are there any searchable online repositories of aerial reconnaissance imagery from the Great War?  I'd dearly love to find imagery of the areas where some of my relatives served but my google-fu has so far failed to come up with any good online resources.  

Any and all pointers would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

I haven't investigated this very deeply so I can't say how good the coverage is, but maybe there's something? 

https://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A34

sJ

Many thanks seaJane.  I did some shuffling about around the website but, alas, nothing jumped out at me.  The search is based on the name of the file so the user is susceptible to the vagaries of how the image location was named.  A geographic query akin to that provided by tmapper would be ideal....but that's a lot of work to accomplish and so probably doesn't exist.

Anyhoo....I do appreciate the pointer.  It gets me on the path, even if it doesn't lead anywhere.

Cheers,
Mark

It's rather a random hit and miss thing but unit diaries in WO95 (and Ancestry) occasionally have aeriel photos. On some occasions I've seen runs of perhaps a dozen giving a large mosaic.

Would be a magnificent resource if it could be indexed but finding a specific place to fit a time frame seems a daunting task!

TEW

Which areas are you looking for?

John

25 minutes ago, John Milner said:

Which areas are you looking for?

John

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out.  My initial target of interest is the area between La Basse Ville and Deulemont (across the Belgian-French border) in the September 1917 timeframe.  

Kind regards,
Mark