Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy Southern Irish Battalion?

StevieB

Good Morning All,

I have a sailors service papers and I am very confused about one of the entries.604200530_Service-cropped.jpg.1758e399faf278eef39fa28ff9f3bcee.jpg

Between 17th July 1912 and 31 July 1914 he appears to have been posted to the "Southern Irish Ballyero????? Btn"

Firstly, can anyone decipher what the 3rd word is (presumeably a place in Ireland), and secondly knows what this may be?

It stumps me!!,

Cheers

Steve

Btn is the abbreviation for Boatman, his rating in the Coast Guard. He was drafted to the South of Ireland District and I think the name of the Station could be Ballycrovane, County Cork. 

Edited by horatio2

That's great, thanks for that. Yes you could be right with Ballycrovane, as there was a Coastguard Station there which was attacked by the IRA in 1920.

Many thanks!

Steve

With only an extract from his record I cannot see whether his transfer to the Coast Guard was permanent. The next rating above Boatman was Leading Boatman but his record shows that he was advanced to Leading Seaman (RN seaman branch rating) on 1 Aug 1914. However, in his next three drafts his List is, in each case, annotated 'CG'.=, which seems to indicate that he was 'on the books' of WILDFIRE (Sheerness), PEMBROKE I (Chatham) and VICTORY (Portsmouth) still as a Coast Guard rating. Perhaps Leading Seaman was entered in error.