Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War 1 medals

Heather Kelly

I think it is the Meritorious Service Medal but I am a bit confused about all the slightly different versions and reasons for award that existed during the Great War.

David

Thank you   David. My late grandfather left me these medals but as he never talked about the war I could identify the three medals usually awarded, never before the fourth medal. This is the war stripe he was awarded.

war stripe.jpg

The name, service number and battalion of the recipient (all details would be on the edge of the first three medals) would help those on here to find out all you would need me to know about your relative. :)

Edited by wandererpaul

36 minutes ago, wandererpaul said:

The name, service number and battalion of the recipient (all details would be on the edge of the first three medals) would help those on here to find out all you would need me to know about your relative. :)

the soldiers details are on the reverse of the star not the edge 

24 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

the soldiers details are on the reverse of the star not the edge 

I'm going from right to left..........lol

The ribbon of the Army MSM was originally plain crimson.  Army Order 183 of June 1916 said that the ribbon was to be crimson with white edges; Army Order 238 of 1 August 1917 announced that the ribbon was to contain  an additional central white stripe.  

The ribbon of the Long Service and Good Conduct medal was identical, ie plain crimson, then crimson with white edges.  The qualifying criteria included discharge after 21 years', later reduced to 18 years', unimpeachable service.

To determine which of the medals it is, we need to know details of the reverse and/or the name of the recipient.

Graeme

4 hours ago, EDWARD1 said:

I think it is the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. The MSM had a central white stripe as well as the edge stripe.

1 hour ago, dgibson150 said:

Hi Heather

It would be good to know what is on the back of the right hand medal.

David

long service and good conduct medal.jpg

Just now, Heather Kelly said:

This is a photo of both front and back of the medal David

long service and good conduct medal.jpg

it is not the same medal - different obverse ??

Edited by Coldstreamer

Spent 10 minutes enlarging the two images above, then cottoned on that you mean the medals as shown in post #1🤪

Yes they are different!

Edited by Knotty

All the 'Meritorious' series of medals have the scroll suspender as in post#1.

The long service medal also has this upto 1920 as Andew Upton has pointed out below.

The bust is George V in Field Marshall's uniform.

Source: Medal yearbook 2018.

Alan.

Edited by Alan24
Incorrect statement, more complex than I thought.

58 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

All the 'Meritorious' series of medals have the scroll suspender as in post#1.

The long service series have straight supender bars as post #12.

Therefore the medal in post 1 must be the MSM with second type ribbon.

Sorry, this is clearly wrong. Early LSGC medals also have the scroll suspender. As stated (repeatedly) above, having the crimson ribbon with the edges in white means it is the ribbon of the LSGC post-1917, if it was the post-1917 MSM it would have the extra central white stripe:

Image result for army long service good conduct medal

MSM.png

Edited by Andrew Upton

Thanks Andrew, I stand corrected.

I'll have another look and edit my post to avoid confusion.

Regards

Alan.

19 minutes ago, dgibson150 said:

I have to say I am pretty confused. What is the conclusion re the question posed in the original post, ie #1?

David

At risk of getting it wrong again...

I think it's either a;

MSM issued between 1916 and August 1917 or

LSGC issued after August 1917 but before 1920.

Whatever, it will say exactly what it is on the reverse.

The pics in #12 are not the medal in #1 so are somewhat a red herring. 

Regards

Alan 

Edited by Alan24

11 hours ago, wandererpaul said:

Yes, this would be particularly helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Heather,

To clear up any confusion that you may have after posting your post. What you posted is a medal group from the left to right: 1. 1914 Star (commonly referred to as the 'Mons Star') with date clasp 5th Aug to 22 Nov 1914, the Rosette should not be on the medal riband, it was designed to be worn on the riband on the tunic indicating that the medal recipient had and was entitled to the bar on his medal. That said lots of soldiers put them on the medal riband because they would never wear a uniform again, therefore it kept the Rosette with the medal all in the one place. 2. War Medal, 3. Victory Medal all three WW1 commonly known as WW1 trio. 4. LS&GC George V issued for 18 years unblemished service, Obverse (Bareheaded Bust in Field Marshal's Uniform issued 1911 to 1920 swivel suspender, the same medal and bust with a fixed suspender issued from 1920 to 1930.

Your second post picture is of a wound stripe details are:  The WW1 No4 Pattern Wound Stripe with backing plate was approved by King George V in 1916. The stripe was to be worn vertically on the left forearm and fastened through the cloth of the uniform and the backing plate inserted and secured by a pin, one would be issued for a wound sustained meeting the regulations and another stripe for any subsequent wounds sustained.

Can you please post the soldiers details taken from the back of the star, and from the rim of the other three medals. Then we will be able to give so much more details about your loved one.

I hope this help you.

Best

Hiram

Edited by Glengarry1950