Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Alan Stirling 913578 Army Ordnance Corps solider number

barnsleyrunner

Would it be possible to work out, from an AOC number, the date that a man volunteered?

Private Alan Stirling 913578 was in the AOC by November 1915, as he was sending letters home from Dover to Wolverhampton. I'd like to know if a more precise date of enlistment is known

His medal index card shows later service in the King's Royal Rifle Corps with regimental no A204366 & entitled to British War Medal & Victory Medal, so probably did not enter a theatre of war before 1st January 1916.

Medal & award Rolls shows 10th Bn KRRC. On this roll he is within a group of over 50 men with almost consecutive service numbers, transfered either from the Royal Army Service Corps or the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, maybe suggesting this was part of the "weeding out" process of fit men from these support corps to the infantry, that happened during WW1.

Sad to see he died, and this is his entry in Soldiers Died in The Great War:

Name:Alan Stirling

Birth Place:Walsall, Staffs

Death Date:2 Apr 1918

Death Place:France and Flanders

Enlistment Place:Wolverhampton

Regiment:King's Royal Rifle Corps

Battalion:12th Battalion

Regimental Number:A/204366

Type of Casualty:Died of wounds

Theatre of War:Western European Theatre

Comments:Formerly 913578, R.A.O.C.

Thank you. Yes was transferred to the KRRC in late 1917 and died at some point during Operation Michael. Probably on 24th March, going by the battalion war diary. I just wondered when his AOC service started as I'm trying to place it within the various recruitment drives in his native Wolverhampton.

I don't have the knowledge about R.A.O.C. service numbers, but I believe an aproximate  enlistment date can be found from his War Gratuity on the Soldiers Effects Register on ancestry or comparing near number original unit soldiers who have surviving army service or pension records.

A website which assists with this calculation has been quoted before on this forum.   Ancestry gives his gross War Gratuity as £ 14 os od

On 10/01/2020 at 17:55, barnsleyrunner said:

Private Alan Stirling 913578

Got to say that number starting with a 9 looks strange for Army Ordnance Corps

Would have thought it would have been more likely as 013578 - perhaps a typo that won't help ???

MIC gives as 013578

Edited by Matlock1418

As you would expect with a 0... AOC number on his Medal Index Card this is also shown on the BWM & VM Medal Roll for the KRRC. He & all the men around him transfered from A.O.C. to KRRC have AOC numbers starting with a 0.