Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Richard Evans. RGA 50493.

Merched

I am researching my grandfather. He survived. We knew nothing about his time in WW1 apart from the fact that he had shrapnel down the left side of his body. However I have made some progress with a little help. 
He was in France. 16th Heavy Battery from 1/6/16 to 18/9/17 when he was transferred to 1/1st London Heavy. I have managed to download from TNA 2 diaries. 65 HAG and 42 HAG. These have been fascinating. 
However apart from the fact these are the only 2 diaries I can find relating to his Heavy Batteries we have a bit of a mystery in that his army records state that he was on the WO Casualty List on 2/3 January 1918. This seems to be for Disordered Action of the Heart. There is no mention of shrapnel. Also frustratingly the diary of 42nd HAG to which 1/1st Heavy was attached at that time ends on November 30th!

Do you think there is anyway of finding out where he was the end of December 1917 to first few days of January 1918? I can find nothing medical on Ancestry or FMP. However we are incredibly lucky to find some of his army records.

Some  of his records are very faint but I think when wounded he went to Essex County??? ...And underneath that is Colchester I think. I am presuming these could be hospitals.

I am also wondering what is written in front of WO Cas List? 

I hope this all makes sense. I am on a steep learning curve. Thank you.

06E83023-003F-48CE-9BAD-CFF9645AD397.jpeg.1a7c59d8ad5e526eaa752427c6003081.jpeg

welcome to the forum

you might like to change your thread title to "what does this say" - it will draw people in more

A pension record card exists, on Ancestry's Fold 3 site, via the Western Front Association members' access, for Richard Evans 50493. It gives his date of discharge as 14 November 1918, disability - D.A.H., assessed as 40% disability attributable to his service. There are two correspondence addresses - first, 32, Crescent St., Merthyr Vale, later changed to 18, Mackintosh Ter.?, Trelewis, Glam. It also gives his birth year as 1894 and marital status as single.  

Hi Merched,

Welcome to the forum.

20 hours ago, Merched said:

I am also wondering what is written in front of WO Cas List? 

I think that it might read as 'sick'.

20 hours ago, Merched said:

... his army records state that he was on the WO Casualty List on 2/3 January 1918.

The date of the list might post date the date that he actually fell sick by several weeks.

Regards

Chris

He joined 42 HAG on 23 Dec 17, went to 44 DAG on 31 Jan 18, and back to 42 HAG (by then called 42 Brigade RGA) on 25 Feb 18. (Source: Details of RGA Heavy Batteries in file WO95/5494.) It looks as if he may not have been off sick for very long.

Ron

Thank you to all who have replied.
I am new to the Forum and I don’t know how to change the thread title. Thank you for replying and interest.

I hadn’t looked on the Fold 3 site. I do have a damaged pension record but not that one I think. Those indeed are the correct addresses. 18 Mackintosh Terrace being his married address. Thank you. I will attempt to access in the Library.

clk. I wondered if it said “Sick”. The dates are on a damaged sheet headed “Military History Sheet” So not an official casualty list as such.

Ron Clifton. That is very interesting and adds to the information I have. The records I have are very faint and gave me the impression that he did not return to France after his casualty. I have him at HATC on 27/3/18 which I assumed was in England. Heavy Artillery Training Centre? I have just checked (and edited) from his Military History Sheet it says he was Home from 4/1/18 to 14/11/18.
From the 42 HAG diary he was I think with 1/1st London with 42HAG on  19/11/17 at Ecquedeque. They had trained/marched from the Belgian coast. I am a bit confused. Was he somewhere else and then rejoined 42 HAG on 23/12/17? Also what would DAG mean? As I said I am on a steep learning curve. Many thanks for your interest and information. I will download the relevant document.

Edited by Merched

It depends whereabouts on his record that you found it, but DAG could well be Deputy Adjutant General, the officer in charge of the base at Rouen where all the personnel records were maintained. Yes, HATC is Heavy Artillery Training Centre which was at Winchester He may not actually have been based there, but could have been borne "on their books" while he was in hospital.

From 15 Nov 17 to 23 Dec 17 his battery was in GHQ Reserve with First Army, I Corps.

Ron