Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GERTRUDE HOYLE, RED CROSS NURSE, HASLINGDEN, LANCASHIRE

Would any colleague have any information on this lady?   She was listed in 1916 as being at 14 Park Street, Haslingden, Lancashire. She is on listings as a British Red Cross nurse. Later in life she was a teacher. In particular, it would help with a local casualty down here(London)  if anyone knew where she might have served-I think it is possible that she might have served in the Med., probably Egypt and possibly Abassia.

It might solve a little mystery.

Thanks Terry- I had the bare details but not the card.  She crops up in a local soldiers' will. That narrows matters down considerably-to be able to locate matters in the UK, rather than that she actually was a real nurse and had served overseas.

I will PM you the story when I have finished writing it over the weekend.

• 1 month later...
There appear to be two Gertrude Hoyles with medallic recognition for overseas war service.  These are: 

1.  Gertrude E.M. Hoyle, VAD Baganda Rifles* (France - 15 Star, BWM, BVM) ……. I'm a little suspicious of "Baganda Rifles" which is an East African unit …..but that's what's on the MIC
2.  Staff Nurse Gertrude Olive Hoyle (nee Hartley), TFNS (France - BWM, BVM).  She's recorded on her MIC as "Died"    

The Gertrude Hoyle in question is employed "Secretaries Duties" at "Auxiliary Military Hospital Haslingden" and the card specifically mentions no "Previous Engagements under Joint War Committee" perhaps indicating she might not be one of the above.  

Haslingden Auxiliary Hospital was located in the Public Hall, Haslingden (which apparently still stands)  Auxiliary Hospitals recruited locally so there may be some further research mileage in and around Haslingden.  Her address was also shown "Permanent" suggesting she was not posted in. Haslingden has a very active historical research group (search for Haslingden War Heroes blog for contacts) - it may well be worth contacting them.

* EDIT 22 Feb 20/07 Apr 20:  Baganda Rifles appears to be the mis-interpretation of "(BRX)" on the National Archives description of her MIC.  Baganda Rifles is not mentioned in full on the MIC.  The given Medal Roll (3RX) would confirm this or otherwise ……. however BRX generally refers to British Red Cross ...… no surprise there.  

Edited by TullochArd