Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Duke of Wellington military policeman

gareth50h

Hi

its a fly whisk usually made out of horse hair or similar 

I agree with Pete that the man shown is unquestionably a member of the Military Foot Police, both cap badge and whistle chain are clear indicators. Given the original poster’s confident labelling of the post, I can only guess that the soldier concerned was a transferee from the DWR to the MFP. At that time all entrants to both branches of the military police corps had to have served initially in some other part of the army and there was no direct entry.

Wonderful photograph. At least 55 men from the Duke of Wellington's Regt transferred into the MFP during the War, with an additional 7 transferring to the MMP. To correct Frogsmile's assertion that there was no direct entry into the Corps at this time, exceptions were made for civilian policemen given permission from their Chief Constables to enlist. Over 1500 served in the Corps, and of these, over half joined straight from their civilian forces. After 1915, there were a number of direct entries - research is ongoing to identify their backgrounds.

Cheers,

Richard

59 minutes ago, Provost said:

Wonderful photograph. At least 55 men from the Duke of Wellington's Regt transferred into the MFP during the War, with an additional 7 transferring to the MMP. To correct Frogsmile's assertion that there was no direct entry into the Corps at this time, exceptions were made for civilian policemen given permission from their Chief Constables to enlist. Over 1500 served in the Corps, and of these, over half joined straight from their civilian forces. After 1915, there were a number of direct entries - research is ongoing to identify their backgrounds.

Cheers,

Richard

That’s very interesting Richard.  I can understand why the exception was made to recruit civilian policemen at a time of huge expansion for the corps. Previously I’d always thought the insistence on previous service a quite wise policy, but it made sense for there to be exceptions on a needs-must basis.

Edited by FROGSMILE

That is very interesting about the Duke of Wellington  regt transfers to the MFP. By chance do you have any more information on the men who transferred as that would be very useful in understanding this chaps movements.

Regards

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Provost,

Is there somewhere I can get more information 

On the 55 men from the Duke of Wellington's Regt that transferred into the MFP during the War, with an additional 7 transferring to the MMP. 

• 3 weeks later...