Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

YoungGroves

Photos needed of Alfred Ernest Flexman (Royal Engineer)

YoungGroves

Hello there,

I'm looking for an image of my great great grandfather who served in WW1 as a Royal Engineer. 

• Sapper/ No.61719/ 154th Field Coy.
  • Killed in action at Battle of Somme 1st July 1916
  • Born and resided in Peckham, London.

My nan's wish is to see what he looked like. I have managed to find almost all documents via other forums, museums and websites, but the only thing that is missing is a photograph. I have heard that Royal Engineers had their photos taken privately unlike the other regiments, hence why I'm finding it hard to find. 

The attachments below

1. Re-patched Army Form: Using my Photoshop Knowledge I was able to transform the form from ruined to near pristine.
  2. De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour: Alfred Ernest Flexman and his son Alfred John Flexman are both mentioned here. Both died within a year of each other at different battles.
  3. Medals: A medal form I found after some further digging.

--------

I really do appreciate any help or direction, I would love to show my nan an image if there is one and surprise her.

Best wishes,

George

Re-Patched Army Form 2505.jpg

De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour 1914-1919.jpg

Medals.jpg

Terry_Reeves

Youngroves

With respect to private photographs, it is true that the RE had their own photographic studio at Chatham in the 19th century as they were pioneers of photography in the armed forces. However, these photographs appear to have been restricted to officers, indeed I have one in my collection. With regard to WW1, this was certainly not the case and can be eliminated from your search. Your best bet is to try local newspapers who sometimes published a photograph along with a brief article about the casualty.

TR

YoungGroves
24 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Youngroves

With respect to private photographs, it is true that the RE had their own photographic studio at Chatham in the 19th century as they were pioneers of photography in the armed forces. However, these photographs appear to have been restricted to officers, indeed I have one in my collection. With regard to WW1, this was certainly not the case and can be eliminated from your search. Your best bet is to try local newspapers who sometimes published a photograph along with a brief article about the casualty.

TR

Thanks for the information Terry. That is interesting to hear they had their own studio in Chatham, was this only in WW2? If it was also in WW1, surely there is a way to contact officers' relatives to allow access to the images? Apologies as I may have misread your text.

Great idea to try local newspapers, not too sure where I'd start with that but I'm sure Peckham have a local newspaper archive or something along those lines. Thanks again Terry.

temptage

Yes newspapers are very useful. A few years ago I trawled through the two local newspapers that were on the go in WW1 and found over 2000 photos of locals who served, of which about 1000 of those were casualties. I found that, as Terry says, maybe a week or two after the individuals demise, the family would submit a photo to the local rag for them to print along with a brief write up about their son. I also found many photos printed, after submittion by family, just after a soldier signed up, or first went away to War, so as you have his date he first went overseas on his medal card, and if his sign up date is on his attestation papers, then that gives you two more dates, or around those dates, that you may find a photo.

Edited by temptage