Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21st Battalion West Yorks

Chris Noble

Can anyone help me with any information regarding the 21st Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment.

I have a relative who served with this battalion who was killed 1st July 1916 and is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial.

Am i correct in assuming that this battalion was the 21st (service) Battalion,(wool textile pioneers) formed in Halifax, 24th Sept. 1915?

Secondly, were they attached to the Fourth Division as Pioneers at the Somme Offensive?

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards, Chris Noble.

Future readers are advised that this sort of information is easily found at The British Army in the Great War. Click through to Army Units and Formations.

Thanks very much Terry. Could i be very cheeky and ask some one to look up on the soldiers that died cd a Private Reginald Dean, 21/185 of the above battalion?

Thanks once again :D

Chris.

Quote from British Battalions on the Somme re 21st West Yorks on 1/7/16.

" "A" company could not carry out work digging communication trenches across no mans land due to heavy machine gun fire."

Chris this might be of interest.(apparently took part in ops)

The 21st were with the 4th Division and taken from the Battalion Diaries for the 1st and 2nd July contains only the following entries:-

"Bertrancourt, July1st. C Company-five officers and 198 men in trenches. Heavy bombardment. Camp shelled without direct result. First day of Battle of the Somme.

"2nd July. A and B still in trenches. C Company still in trenches. B Company and three other platoons-nine officers and 296 other ranks engaged with 4th Division attack.One officer wounded and two other ranks killed-nine other ranks wounded."

The following account was, however, related by an officer of the Pioneer Battalion:

The task assigened the 21st was to follow the attack with communication trenches across no mans land. Tunnels had been prepared under the front line and the forward communication trenches sited. The 4th Division quickly gained its objectives and A Company of the 21st under Captain Noon, with Captain Boulnois as is second-in-command, proceeded to the tunnels and began work. Owing to failure of the attacks on Serre and Beaumnt Hammel the German machine guns came in to action again and a deadly cross-fire was kept up on the 4th Division front. No work was possible, and the Division had to makes its way back, losing very heavily in this retirement. A counter -attack was expected and A Company was put in a support trench and afterwards for atime in the front line. The anticipated German attack did not materialize and after being in the trenches for two days, the company rejoined Headquarters of the Battalion, wich was then employed clearing the battlefield of the dead and bring the bodies in for burial.

Footnote:-the other ranker that was killed that day was,

George Chadwick. Pte. 21/25

Also Captain Boulnois (T/Cap) was killed on the 23/10/16.

Hope this is of interest, Regards Kevin.

I don't understand why this battalion was formed by the Mayor and city of Leeds in Halifax.

I know Halifax was a garrison town for the Duke 0f Wellington's Regiment so I'm surprised this unit was formed there.

Any ideas anyone ?

Rob

Chris

This might interest you,its about the Formation, Creation etc of the Pioneers, and a good read.

Pioneer Battalions in the Great War(Organized and Intelligent Labour) by K.W.Mitchinson.

Theres afew referances to the West Yorks.

Regards Kevin.

Thanks Kevin for the additional info, I'll certainly try and get my hands on a copy.

Regards your query Rob, i too was a bit puzzled as to why and where this battalion was formed. Maybe it has something to do with the designation of the battalion, the "wool textile pioneers", one can only surmise that the soldiers were recruited from the thriving textile industry, of which Halifax was the hub of in that era?

Regards, Chris.