Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Marilyne

Zonnebeke area

Marilyne

Good Afternoon,

the crazy marchers of the BGFT will be roaming the countryside on the 2nd War Memories Walk in Zonnebeke on the 26th January.

I will of course be fully equipped with camera and (small) lens (not the rocket launcher)

EDIT: requests are possible for these cemeteries:

• Dochy Farm New Cemetery
  • Tyne Cot
  • Polygon Wood
  • Buttes Cemetery

On the 1st Feb, I'll be at Essex Farm and will have possibilities to stop at Brandhoek and maybe Dozinghem.

any requests in the area, just let me know…

Marilyne

Edited by Marilyne

Marilyne

I can push to PASSENDALE NEW for urgent requests… 1 km more…

Fattyowls
On 08/01/2020 at 12:59, Marilyne said:

I will of course be fully equipped with camera and (small) lens (not the rocket launcher)

....and a small bear of course. If you are up at Tyne Cot and you can find an easy vantage point can you take a picture from up at the back looking north east up towards Passendale and one looking due north towards 'S Gravenstafel? No problem if not. Four of my Kiwi footballers were killed or mortally wounded on between 'S Gravenstafel and the Bellvue spur in 8 days in October 1917, two are remembered in the New Zealand apse at Tyne Cot.

Pete.

P.S. Couldn't you pack the rocket launcher just in case? I'm sure that it would only need three of the team to pull the trailer.........

Michelle Young

No picture requests, but at Tyne Cot can you please say Hello  to Ernie? XL1 B 20 

many thanks 

IMG_1261.JPG

Marilyne

Noted, Pete!! And of course Michelle, I'll say hi. Got a little poppy for him. 

and of course Bear will be there!! 

M. 

Mangham1

Marilyne,

Thank you for your kind offer. Could I please have a photo of L/Cpl Thomas A. TAYLOR (KOYLI) on the Addenda Panel of the Tyne Cot Memorial?

I hope the weather will be kind!

Grant

Marilyne

Hi all, 

The weather was not the best... a lot of fog still in the morning when we passed Tyne Cot.

I f*** up a seriously good shot with red sun (HDR in the morning with fog and free hand NOT a good plan... should have taken a second shot without) 

Pete, I managed a few pics in the direction of Passendale, trying to get a view over the wall at the back of the cemetery. I'm sending them per we transfer to your mail, as they're quite big. 

Michelle, we said Hi to Ernie, as promised. 

D94A0019.JPG.e9dfc84881bf13403c16dd55941b8100.JPG

D94A0018.JPG.219a8051b8446c4a4cfc368363c6e1aa.JPG

M. 

Marilyne
On 20/01/2020 at 18:20, Mangham1 said:

L/Cpl Thomas A. TAYLOR (KOYLI) on the Addenda Panel of the Tyne Cot Memorial?

Grant, 

Panel 164 ... 

D94A0035.JPG.118fcc5beb1f9915d120e93859ed4971.JPG

D94A0036.JPG.c185a4d8f201a7ad935c0be9079ae31c.JPG

More pics of the day will be posted on my usual Salient pic thread: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/208393-a-beautiful-day-on-the-salient/

M. 

Michelle Young

Many thanks for visiting Ernie. Much appreciated.

Michelle 

Fattyowls

Photos received and dutifully downloaded, they look really atmospheric with the mist. Thanks Marilyne,

Knotty

You know you want to share them Pete🙂

Fattyowls
1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Strictly speaking they are Marilyne's intellectual property - we'll need her agreement.:innocent: I trust you are on the mend matey, hope so.

Pete.

Knotty

Sorry Pete, should have spotted that you were the recipient, so a pretty please to Marilyne is required😘

Yep starting to mend, and just watching WW2 in colour,war in the Pacific......does that make me a heathen?

John

Marilyne
11 hours ago, Knotty said:

Of course I'll share!! 

I'll post them in small format tonight… they are on my other computer. If you want them in big format, just send me a PM with your email address.

M.

Fattyowls
14 hours ago, Knotty said:

Sorry Pete, should have spotted that you were the recipient, so a pretty please to Marilyne is required😘

Yep starting to mend, and just watching WW2 in colour,war in the Pacific......does that make me a heathen?

John

No apology needed John, my tongue was firmly lodged in my cheek (as it has been most of the day having had a crown fitted which necessitated the whole side of my face being anesthetised). And yes, that's just wrong.......

Marilyne

aoutch!!!!

I feel for you!!!

M.

Knotty

So it’s Pete the Dribbler then😂

Fattyowls

Friends, thank you for your concern. Laura my dentist is so dedicated to pain free dentistry that she literally numbs my whole head (not that anyone is able to tell the difference). All three visits were pain free, but I do feel a bit zonked, and yes, there were saliva egress issues when I tried to form sentences. The only pain was paying the bill at the end, no more sweets and comics for me for a while.

When the effects of the novocaine have completely worn off I'm going to work out the sight lines on the photos to work out where Crest farm is. My interest is driven by something I've been writing for ages about the footballers from the amateur club in Auckland. Of the nine players who were killed I think four died around s'Gravenstafel and up the Bellvue spur, and all within a few days of each other. The views that Marilyne took link where two of them are commemorated - the New Zealand apse at Tyne Cot - with where they may still lie. The misty half light of the photos is perfect for describing the events of October 1917. I have some decent photos of the spur taken from Crest farm, but they are all sunny and pastorally peaceful, livestock grazing peacefully, that kind of thing.

I've got some cracking photos to accompany the article now, including Marilyne waving a fresh waffle around in the Grote Markt just to upset me. I just love fresh waffles, and the ones you can get in the UK just don't cut it.

Pete.

P.S. After Marilyne's expression of concern I can't get the song by Chaka Khan out of my head.

Marilyne

I so want a copy of that article !! 

here are the pictures I made for Pete: 

1643534242_D94A0041small.jpg.d6c9d16cfa3eea6bbb4e9745504761e2.jpg

653608972_D94A0042small.jpg.837c07ebc7a18bb717a0ecfde9d080c2.jpg

1519551973_D94A0043small.jpg.3bba6441600edfcea5f62ec716812332.jpg

Next time I'm there I'll take the wide angle. 

And I can make a panoramic view with the cell phone. 

M.

Marilyne

Pete, got another pic for you, courtesy of Ilse: Bear says Hi from the back of the backpack !! 

162260583_bearatTyneCot.jpg.d82600458960bbc3a45da0fb7399bdac.jpg

Mangham1

Marilyne,

Thank you very much for the two photos of the Addendum Panel - job done! Sorry about the weather.

Grant

Fattyowls
15 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Pete, got another pic for you, courtesy of Ilse: Bear says Hi from the back of the backpack !!

Excellent; you will get to see the article if I ever finish it. Just one question about Ilse's photo. Is that a new hairstyle, a bobble hat with a very big bobble or are you balancing a pineapple on your head?

Marilyne

That, kind sir, is a very special bobble hat: it is called "The Belgian Beast" (reference to the blue and the belgian colours famous for the belgian cycling champions) and I bought that ... hold on to your (bobble or not) hats: in WOLVERHAMPTON!! Yes, on your island... they were selling them at the Tough Guy competition. 

here a close up: 

Capture.PNG.6a880557a120e44aaae52e4511b4bb2d.PNG

Anyway, it's WARM, fits nicely and just looks great !! 

And most importantly: except my sister who has the white variant, never saw anybody else with it! 

M.

Fattyowls

That is some serious headgear; very impressive. As are your photos in the lovely day in the salient thread, some of the best I've seen of Tyne Cot, and I've seen a lot.

Marilyne

thanks!!