Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lemnos-3rd Canadian Stationary Hospital 1915

paul.pengelly

Lemnos - 3rd Canadian Stationary Hospital.

Map shows it in December 1915 

When they first arrived in August it was a chaotic set up ,based in tents which were blown down by gales,they had to lend the Australian hospital men and nurses as they had been decimated by diseases.The sanitary arrangements were totally inadequate and soon the 3rd were suffering ,2 Nursing sisters and the Matron were admitted with Dysentery,

7C248F31-5497-4C6B-BE7D-1EC9817E7749.jpeg.0f0e7436133ee14bbd9da7d8e4a7d4ad.jpeg,the Matron:Jesse Brown Jaggard,and Nursing Sister M.F.E Munro’s died  and are buried there

2EFEF469-D8C3-48DF-819F-4C2BDE59A0A6.jpeg

888BF958-F57F-45CA-B643-1B268F314EC6.jpeg

This map indicates the position of No.3 Canadian Hospital, lying between the No.1 Canadian and the No.10 British Stationary Hospitals, on the west side of Mudros Bay

MudrosWest.jpg

Brilliant map  michaeldr .Thanks ,it shows all the hospitals ,the piers where they were landed and the roads, everything including  Portianos cemetery.I notice the shallow inlet behind the hospitals surrounded by mud flats,unfortunately an ideal breeding ground for disease carrying  flies,which wouldn’t have helped with the conditions.

Do you know when the map was drawn?.It mentions temporary hospitals and  hutted  hospitals being shown in different colours.

The 3 Hospitals shown No 10  British, No 2 and 3 Canadian ,are all drawn exactly the same ,I am wondering if they were all identical or was it just “artistic licence “,because the general layout and number of huts  looks unlike the Canadian plan of 3rd Stationary Hospital

On 5 February 1916 Nelson Bn. RND moved into the hutted accomodation of what had been No.3 Canadian Hospital, having been in tents since leavinng Gallipoli in early January.

Thanks horatio2

Yes I think by early part of 1916 after withdrawal from Gallipoli the hospitals were all moving out of Lemnos,No 3 Canadian Stationary Hospital goes to France ,No 1 Canadian Stationary Hospital goes to Salonika.

Had a quick trawl through No 1 C.S.H war diary it makes grim reading,they arrived August 16th 1915 and borrowed 35 foot x 17 foot Marquees which they placed end to end ,x6 became a 100 bed Ward. They had heavy electrical storms which flooded the tents and overpowered the drains,but they struggled with water supplies along with a shortage of everything that arrived by boat...except wounded,11 hospital ships in harbour(Oct).

The conditions on the island were horrendous ,they reckoned 90% of the men in the hospital were troops from Lemnos having contracted dysentery since arriving on the island !
 Found this plan of the early tented hospital

41F35174-883E-47D4-A9C2-CFE7A30E1398.jpeg

From ;War Story of Canadian Army Medical Corp by J George Adami M.D  F.R.S.Volume 1 -

( which deals with the Canadian 1st contingent up to Autumn 1915) sadly he never got around to finishing / publishing other volumes,so it only mentions 1st Canadian Stationary Hospital on Lemnos nothing about the 3rd Canadian Stationary Hospital who arrived at the same time) available free online.

The sandy plain where they both pitched their tented Hospitals had "recently been vacated by a camp of thousands of Egyptian labourers not possessed of the most elementary ideas of camp sanitation" 

"95% of the personnel developed acute enteritis mostly of the amoebic variety"

"September 15th a 10 inch deep flood poured through the tents

"Some 6,300 cases were treated in the hospital wards between August 23rd and January 31st"

"Surprisingly despite the horrendous conditions on the island the 1st Canadian Stationary Hospital had a low death rate 

During the month of October it was reported at 0.07%" !!

On 09/01/2020 at 10:47, michaeldr said:

This map indicates the position of No.3 Canadian Hospital, lying between the No.1 Canadian and the No.10 British Stationary Hospitals, on the west side of Mudros Bay

MudrosWest.jpg

On 09/01/2020 at 14:05, paul.pengelly said:

Thanks horatio2

Yes I think by early part of 1916 after withdrawal from Gallipoli the hospitals were all moving out of Lemnos,No 3 Canadian Stationary Hospital goes to France ,No 1 Canadian Stationary Hospital goes to Salonika.

Had a quick trawl through No 1 C.S.H war diary it makes grim reading,they arrived August 16th 1915 and borrowed 35 foot x 17 foot Marquees which they placed end to end ,x6 became a 100 bed Ward. They had heavy electrical storms which flooded the tents and overpowered the drains,but they struggled with water supplies along with a shortage of everything that arrived by boat...except wounded,11 hospital ships in harbour(Oct).

The conditions on the island were horrendous ,they reckoned 90% of the men in the hospital were troops from Lemnos having contracted dysentery since arriving on the island !
 Found this plan of the early tented hospital

On 09/01/2020 at 13:05, paul.pengelly said:

Brilliant map  michaeldr

Do you have a source available for this please?

Histoire.

Hi 

You need to go on the "Library and Archives Canada "site which contains the war diaries (over 1,000) and personnel records (service records of those who served) and a host of other stuff worth digging into,and its all free,with "how to " instructions on how to search.

(I have just had a quick scan at the service file of Nursing Sister Florence Alexandria Hunter (you were asking about in your other thread )to check its there ,it is 40+ pages

The map michaeldr sent is on "Through these Lines" site which contains lots more great info on the subject.

• 4 years later...
  • Admin
On 09/01/2020 at 10:47, michaeldr said:

MudrosWest.jpg

@michaeldr

Hello michaeldr,

Is there any chance you could repost this map please?

It seems to have disappeared.

Regards, Bob.

Hi Bob,

isn't that strange (not to say annoying) that some have remained but not that one? I'll check for it later today and get back to you on this.

regards, Michael

Edited by michaeldr

4 hours ago, michaeldr said:

I'll check for it later today and get back to you on this.

So far this morning I've not been able to identify the exact map which I used previously. :blush:

Nevertheless, the GWF here has provided links which you should find helpful

This one is from 'montbrehain's post of 24 SEPT 2007
post-13272-1190659223.jpg 
and this one from his post of 29 SEPT 2007
post-13272-1191045589.jpg

On that same thread this one was posted by 'Gallipoli Roachie' 6 NOV 2018
limmap.JPG.96e685822733e36f79f7c88a03cde 

regards, Michael

• Admin
On 17/04/2024 at 09:03, michaeldr said:

So far this morning I've not been able to identify the exact map which I used previously. :blush:

Nevertheless, the GWF here has provided links which you should find helpful

This one is from 'montbrehain's post of 24 SEPT 2007
post-13272-1190659223.jpg 
and this one from his post of 29 SEPT 2007
post-13272-1191045589.jpg

On that same thread this one was posted by 'Gallipoli Roachie' 6 NOV 2018
limmap.JPG.96e685822733e36f79f7c88a03cde 

regards, Michael

Thank you for your assistance in finding these Michael,

they will help me no end in my understanding of this theater of the war.

It is huge when one starts looking into it! :excl:

Regards, Bob.

Edit here; A link to the above discussed post.

Edited by Bob Davies
To add a link.