Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with deciphering photo

Redman

Hi all,

this photograph I'd taken in Loughton Essex. 

Can anyone add any info from his uniform and badges please?

what might the R P wrist band mean.

kind regards

dan

IMG_3601.JPG

Royal Flying Corps with Regimental Police arm band on lower left cuff below two wound stripes and his corporal rank

J

Edited by jay dubaya

7 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Royal Flying Corps with Regimental Police arm band on lower left cuff below two wound stripes and his corporal rank

J

No, the inverted chevrons on the left sleeve above the wound stripes are not rank but good conduct stripes. His rank would be a basic airman, no rank insignia in evidence.

Good conduct stripes were introduced for RAF in 1920. After 1922 they were only worn by personnel below the substantive rank of corporal. He obviously transferred into RAF from another branch of the services (on its formation 1/4/18). He may have joined from RE, RFC or RNAS.

Ref AMO 720 (12/8/20)

Michael

Edited by KizmeRD
Clarification.

8 hours ago, scottmarchand said:

No, the inverted chevrons on the left sleeve above the wound stripes are not rank but good conduct stripes. His rank would be a basic airman, no rank insignia in evidence.

whoops.....we’ll that’s my first blooper of the new year, goodness only knows what I was thinking.

3 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

Good conduct stripes were introduced for RAF in 1920. After 1922 they were only worn by personnel below the substantive rank of corporal. He obviously transferred into RAF from another branch of the services (on its formation 1/4/18). He may have joined from RE, RFC or RNAS.

Ref AMO 720 (12/8/20)

Michael

He’s RFC, typical OR’s plastron uniform jacket and insignia in the photo, and therefore part of the Army and the GC refs are covered under that set of regulations. Nothing to do with the RAF at this point.

Definitive 1914 Pattern jacket.  Shoulder straps seemingly appeared June 1914 as did the horizontal pockets with buttoned flap (replacing the earlier slit pocket).

Edited by RFT
Updated.

Is the stick/cane part of the uniform?. I have never seen a "ranker" with a swagger cane.!

In the early years, RFC Other Ranks appear to have carried a bamboo swagger stick fitted with white metal top.

No-one has remarked on the Regimental Police badge .Its the first time I've ever seen or heard of this in the RFC.

It has to be very rare.

I was thinking it could be a pre-war thing , but the chap has two wound stripes therefore wartime, so its harder to explain.