Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P B McDermott, Somerset LI

Steven Broomfield

Asking for a friend: he's trying to find a little about an ancestor, Phillip Bernard McDermott, who seems to have been with the 6th Somerset Light Infantry.

The Victory Medal Roll gives the number 16981, but transferred to ASC on 27th October, 1918, as S/443351

The attached picture of him is a little inconclusive; I assume it is from his ASC service but I am not sure.

Any help gratefully received

McDermott.png

Service Record suggests started with 3 SLI but overseas 3/8/15 France with 7 SLI. GSW hip 16/9/16.

To UK 18/11/16

Compulsory trf to ASC Supplies (his civil employment was 'clerk') 27/10/18.  Posted 623 MT Co 9/12/18

To Z Reserve 21/2/19

Probably a Pension Card ?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Hi,

FMP also has a MH 106 record for the time that Phillip spent at the 2nd General Hospital (link). It doesn't add anything though to his 'Casualty Form' from his service record (FMP link)

McDermott_1.jpg.599db063f253edcc8ecfd64c017c8b34.jpgMcDermott_2.jpg.0b61527fb39f7401c5cb89af9dc23abd.jpgImages sourced from Findmypast

If your friend has access to Ancestry, the Bn war diary for September 1916 starts  here. Alternatively here at the National Archives.

Regards

Chris

Chaps - as ever, I am in awe.

Many, many thanks.

14 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Asking for a friend: he's trying to find a little about an ancestor, Phillip Bernard McDermott, who seems to have been with the 6th Somerset Light Infantry.

The Victory Medal Roll gives the number 16981, but transferred to ASC on 27th October, 1918, as S/443351

The attached picture of him is a little inconclusive; I assume it is from his ASC service but I am not sure.

Any help gratefully received

McDermott.png

I would say that his cap badge, although the image is blurred, looks more likely to be SLI than ASC. If he was a member of the battalion transport section then he would have been a good candidate for transfer to the ASC.  Pete.

4 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

If he was a member of the battalion transport section

A good equivalent photo for Lincolnshire Regt has just been posted by @FROGSMILE  here

Shows the bandolier being worn.

charlie