Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collision Between Paddle Steamer and RN Destroyer

18thCEF

On the night of September 15/16, 1915, the 18th Battalion (4th Canadian Infantry Brigade, 2nd Division CEF) embarked for Boulgne, France. In transit they were "rammed" by a Royal Navy destroyer and several men from the Battalion jumped of the paddle-wheeled steamer to the deck of the destroyer, being reunited with their unit later.

I am wondering if someone can direct me to sources to find the names of the vessels involved with the incident. I have been actively researching this unit (my Grandfather served with the 18th) since 2009 and have not seen one source that named the vessels involved.

The Medical Officer's war diary relates:

5: 30 PM: Left Sandling Camp to march to Folkstone. Water Duties Unit; Stretcher Bearers + Sanitary Squad complete.
9: 30 PM: Left the docks enroute to Boulogne.

10:50 PM: Rammed by British destroyer:  have to be towed to Boulogne where we arrived at 5 pm. Nine men jumped on the destroyer at the time of collision and rejoined the Battalion four days later.

Any suggestions to sources would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric

Page 6.jpg

See https://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritishShips-Locations10Attacked.htm

This is the only one which I could find that sounds like it, but the date is out by a week

LEVEN, destroyer, 8 September 1915, Dover Straits - C-class, 420t, Dover Patrol, dark night. In collision with transport carrying 2,000 troops, bow flattened, found drifting broadside in heavy swell in the direction of Boulogne by destroyer Viking, taken in tow stern-first into Dover assisted by destroyer Tartar and tug Lady Crundall [Cn/D/dp/gr]

There appear to be 2 War Diaries available for Sep 1915 - see click

Note:  the war diaries for this month available online are in two parts. One part is the battalion diary kept by the Paymaster with the rank of Captain. As of the date of this entry his name is unknown as his signature is illegible on the form. The second diary to be posted later is of the Medical Officer, Captain G.C. Hale.

The version quoted there downplays the incident and says

6 pm

7:45 PM

Final preparations made for starting Camp. Left Sandling and marched to Folkestone via Folkestone Rd. Sibgate and Lower Sandgate Road.

Arrived at Folkestone and embarked, three companies on one boat and ‘D’ Coy on another. Left at 9:20 PM followed by ‘D’ Coy at approximately half an hour interval. About 10:55 struck by friendly destroyer. Not damage done to us.

15 4.55 am

5 pm

Arrived Boulogne and marched to rest camp.

Marched to B-Station and entrained to St. Omer. Left at 7 pm and arrived St. Omer at 10 pm. Marched to Renescune (and 2 am 16/9/15)

18 hours ago, corisande said:

There appear to be 2 War Diaries available for Sep 1915 - see click

Note:  the war diaries for this month available online are in two parts. One part is the battalion diary kept by the Paymaster with the rank of Captain. As of the date of this entry his name is unknown as his signature is illegible on the form. The second diary to be posted later is of the Medical Officer, Captain G.C. Hale.

The version quoted there downplays the incident and says

6 pm

7:45 PM

Final preparations made for starting Camp. Left Sandling and marched to Folkestone via Folkestone Rd. Sibgate and Lower Sandgate Road.

Arrived at Folkestone and embarked, three companies on one boat and ‘D’ Coy on another. Left at 9:20 PM followed by ‘D’ Coy at approximately half an hour interval. About 10:55 struck by friendly destroyer. Not damage done to us.

15 4.55 am

5 pm

Arrived Boulogne and marched to rest camp.

Marched to B-Station and entrained to St. Omer. Left at 7 pm and arrived St. Omer at 10 pm. Marched to Renescune (and 2 am 16/9/15)

You happened on my blog. This event is one that is mentioned in the war diary and in other sources such as a Battalion Association "memory" and news clippings but there is no specific information as to the men who jumped aboard the destroyer or its name, for that matter.