Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal roll help please!

Noor

Hi all,

Unfortunately my Ancestry and FMP subscription ran out and I am planning to review by the end of the month.

Could you please help me to confirm which Bn served Arthur Lupton, Leicestershire regiment, 30773 before he was moved to 8th (Service) Bn. York & Lancaster Reg (KIA 11-10-17).

Thanking you in advance!

Hi service medal roll says 30773 Pte A Lupton 1st Leic Regt, 6th York and Lanc, 10th Y and L, 8th Y and L.  There is an attestation document signed in Derby but really faint think says 31.5.15 with Y and L Reg. also pension record available. 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

Can you get to a local Library, they mostly do a free hour on Ancestry and Findmypast, save you waiting.

Den

Thanks again guys!

A final question, like I understand Arthur Lupton was killed during the battle of Passchendaele 11 October 1917. Is there a input of 10-12 October days for 8th Bn. Y&L Reg? Was it some specific engagement when he died?

Interesting; fairly strong circumstantial evidence there that it was probably a sniper, although it’s not conclusive.

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Interesting; fairly strong circumstantial evidence there that it was probably a sniper, although it’s not conclusive.

Thanks guys! That's brilliant information. Just why his body was never found? He must be forward and out from the trenches in this case?

perhaps he was hit by an artillery shell

could try local papers to see if there is an account 

2 hours ago, clk said:

The CWGC doesn't show whether these men were KiA or DoW received earlier.

image.png.f825a24e95589067fb84bc1d494bc3a8.png

I see one of them has a known grave. Checking out the CWGC webpage for J Grainger shows there is actually a Concentration report. Looks like his body was recovered from the battlefield in 1924, initially as an Unknown British Soldier with a damaged disc. Perhaps the location shown will enable you to pinpoint where they might have been in the front line.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Image courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

J Grainger York and Lancs CWGC Concentration Report.JPG