Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Needed - Recruits Training Wing - Royal Air Force

Matt_OConnor

Hi All, 

I am looking for information regarding my Great Grand Uncle -  Private 2nd Class F (Francis) POTTER, Service Number 296248 who died on 30/09/1918.

I note from the CWGC that Francis was attached to the Recruits Training Wing of the Royal Air Force and is buried along with two other WW1 individuals at Lulworth Castle Roman Catholic Burial Ground in Dorset, England. 

A record which I have located indicates that Francis was attached to the R.A.F on 09/09/1918 and his death is recorded as 'died 30/09/1918' - only 22 days later.

I would assume given his rank, location and very short time in the Recruits Training Wing of the R.A.F that Francis potentially died in a training accident or potential illness (influenza??). 

I would greatly appreciate guidance on this topic or direction as to where to find details of non-action related deaths. 

Regards,

Matt 

Also appears to have been known as Frank

Have you looked at;

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12689836 

Couldn't see him in RAF Museum StoryVault casualty cards [for accidents etc.] - but wouldn't expect that if as TR has now written, he died at home.

Hi Matt

Welcome to the Forum. By a minor coincidence, you posted hours after I'd started a thread about a comparable case, except that my man was a member of the RFC Recruits Depot and died in March 1918, a couple of weeks before the RAF was formed. Perhaps the Recruits Training Wing morphed out of the Depot?

Moonraker

5 hours ago, Matt_OConnor said:

A record which I have located indicates that Francis was attached to the R.A.F on 09/09/1918

If that is the Service Record that is linked by Matlock above then he doesn't seem to be 'attached' to the RAF but actually enlisted RAF.

His civil occupation is Motor Driver. His RAF trade is 896751979_GWFPotterFRAFsvc1.JPG.38bccb8f77c0150abfbf0dd93daaa63c.JPG Lnr Fitter (MT), I think.

Nothing indicated in file as to cause of death. Just says 'died'.  Death Cert suggested by Terry is still best bet.

Charlie

Hi Guys, 

Yes the cert as referenced above is all I have to go by which confirms Francis' DOB, service in R.A.F and place of burial.

This information alone has given the extended family great closure as it was previously thought that Francis died in France after his brother John. 

The puzzle now is how Francis met his end. I found it quite unusual that his death is simply listed as "died" especially so soon after enlistment.

As suggested by Terry I have submitted details of his death cert and fingers crossed I will have more information in the coming days 

Thank you all for your help so far. I am greatly humbled by the response.

• 1 month later...

Dear All, 

Thank you for all your help. 

As suggested, I contacted the Civil Records Register and requested a death certificate of Frank Potter. 

After a month, I finally received a copy today. I was absolutely delighted with the news (despite the unfortunate surroundings).

Please see the attached image. Frank Potter died  'Broncho Pneumonia'. I can only assume that this is Spanish Influenza given the time of his death in autumn 1918 and the fact that he was in good health only 3 weeks before?

All I can say is that I am humbled by everyones responses and tips. I would not have solved the mystery of my great grand-uncle's death if it was not for the people who responded. 

A big thank you once again to you all.

IMG-20200212-WA0018.jpeg