Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Proposed Gallipoli visit

lucycutler

Hi Guys, First of all apologies if this post is on the wrong Forum but it seemed like the best starting point !

My partner and I are intending to visit Gallipoli this year, probably mid to late September, and are looking for advice and recommendations please.  We are reasonably fit and quite used to tramping the fields of northern France and Flanders and doing our own research, but due to the more rugged nature of the terrain and the fact that we are both nearly 70, we feel that some sort of guided tour would be better for us in this instance.

As this will be our first and probably only trip to the peninsula, we would like to see everything that there is to be seen within reason, but with special emphasis on the Suvla bay part of the campaign as that is where our relatives fought and in one case died [10630 Pte William Daniel Hallson of 5th Dorsets (presumed dead 21/8/15) and 2549/235810 Pte Frank Smith of 1st Herefords (survived)].

What we think we would like, would be to travel independantly to Istanbul, be met and taken to Gallipoli, spend perhaps five or more days there including at least one day in the Suvla bay area, and then be taken back to Istanbul city afterwards, where we would then spend a few days before flying back home to the UK.  We would particularly like to see the places where our men fought and in Pte Daniel's case died.    So...... if you can help at all with suggestions and ideas, we would be most grateful for your input!   

Lucy 

Hi Lucy,

My firm Peter Hart Battlefield Tours could help you out email phbtadmin@icloud.com. Our tours are always pick up and drop off at Istanbul as we are not ATOL licensed and can't sell air tickets. We are however in every other way reputable (insurance taxes etc) . They are slightly longer than you want at 8-days and this year from 31/8 to 7/9, but we are cheapish! Email for more info. Battle Honours are also good with Steve Chambers as the guide. 

Peter Hart

10 hours ago, PMHart said:

Hi Lucy,

My firm Peter Hart Battlefield Tours could help you out email phbtadmin@icloud.com. Our tours are always pick up and drop off at Istanbul as we are not ATOL licensed and can't sell air tickets. We are however in every other way reputable (insurance taxes etc) . They are slightly longer than you want at 8-days and this year from 31/8 to 7/9, but we are cheapish! Email for more info. Battle Honours are also good with Steve Chambers as the guide. 

Peter Hart

Hi Peter, Many thanks for coming back to me, I'll email you to talk further.

Lucy