Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IT IS DESIRED on grandfathers file, unusual entry

Grandfathers file, posting from 31/08/18 NZEF HQ, IT IS DESIRED, during the war.  Is it possible somebody recognized that John (toby) to us, had already lost three brothers all buried in France and Belgium.   I have tried searching lots of other files to see if I can find a statement that reads similar.  Question - Who DESIRES in time of war, this I also did my best to research.  Found a couple of references, IT IS DESIRED that Paris not be bombed is one I found. If I remember signed by Winston Churchill. FL22747267.jpg.f570ac1547d48eca151916c892feafc6.jpg

I'm no expert, but it looks to me like an official understatement that would have been understood by the recipient by reading between the lines, but not immediately obvious to outsiders.

An interesting use of language and interesting story.

Dave

Can you transcribe that part in full? The image is too small for me to read

I have always wondered the comments section memo Ref, have already tried to get that memo through army archives in NZ, or even recognise what section it comes from. do the sequence of numbers have any meaning. 

This has been a family argument for years now, I think the signature on that memo if we could get it would be all telling. 

Speculating here, the prime Minister of the time was from the Auckland area, I wonder if the Sanderson Brothers deaths in France and Belgium had been brought to his attention, he I suspect would have the authority to DESIRE. 

I have since checked newspapers of the time, NZ newspapers nothing I can find, Australian newspapers very informative, Prime Minister W F Massey in London, at the date this was signed, at meetings, giving speeches, lots of coverage on his visit. 

Benjamin Sanderson served with Australian forces, on his file is a letter from his mother stating she has lost three sons,is it possible there is a link here. 

Crazy as it seems, my father and his first cousin both enlisted for WW 2, first cousin perished el alamein, so Eliza Jane my Gt Grandmother not only lost 3 sons to WW1, John (toby), died 1937, grandson to WW2, and my father returned home at the conclusion of WW2,  Eliza Jane died May 1945 aged 88 Yrs.  

Edited by Guest
update to post