Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Light Infantry - Portsmouth Division

Ruth123

I've been researching the history of Leonard Boyce (DOB 2 Jan 1896) he was in the Royal Marine Light Infantry - Portsmouth Division

The name of the division or ship from 12 March 1915 - 11 Oct 1915 reads as "Patea" - but can't find what/where this was or what it might be short for.

In addition his record very often just says Portsmouth division - no numbers or regiments and trying to trace what he was up to. He was on the Hindustan which I have been able to find out a bit more about.

Also does anyone know where I can find a transcribed service record copy as on his from the national archive I'm struggling to read some of the section headings.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Ruth

Welcome
Possibly the armed merchant cruiser HMS Patia.

edit

He has a Pension Card. Although this refers to his discharge in 1919 it refers to his last ship as Patia. That appears to be wrong but I think probably confirms he was on the Patia.

Disability was deafness aggravated by war service.
The Portsmouth Division of the RMLI was located at Eastney Barracks but not sure that means where he was

Edited by Mark1959

Leonard BOYCE Po/17653 RMLI. SWB No.RN43653. 4/9/19 Discharged Invalided from RN Hosp. Haslar for “Deafness left Ear.”  There are two sets of papers at Kew in ADM 157 - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C16634456  and https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14534049  (Not sure why they in two parts.)

Mark1959 is partly correct. Entries of "Ports Div" indicate periods when he was at the Portsmouth Division RMLI HQ and barracks, which were at Forton, Gosport until 1 August 1923, when they moved to Eastney on the amlgamation of RMLI and RMA into RM. and Forton closed.

There are no transcribed records.

The first item: to 536 Siege Battalion

Could in fact be “5 & 6 Siege Battery”

If one is allowed to guess, then this might be a reference to

two batteries of the RMA Howitzer Brigade which were combined in August 1918 (10th-17th) to form No1 Siege Battery – the two batteries were Nos. 5 & 6

From his address on the Pension Card (a Birmingham address), this may well be him and his family.

From Smethwick Telephone, 2 Oct 1915

1218368269_Smethwick-telephone-2-oct1916.JPG.ecbac9eadeb20d417af5bcb34df70b74.JPG

Blumberg's Sea Soldiers 1914 - 1919.

Royal Marines attached to RGA.

Following the March offensive 400 men of the RMA and RMLI ( qualified for sea gunnery) were sent to reinforce RGA Batteries.

Details were sent to Lydd on 3 April 1918.

525,  526, 527 & 528 Siege Battery RGA.

The personnel of each battery was around 150 of whom two-thirds were Royal Marines.

58 DM.

Apologies,

My assumption is that they were "qualified for sea gunnery". I have an interest in a Pte of the Portsmouth Division RMLI who served with 526 Bty RGA. 

His ADM 159 confirms sea gunnery qualification. In August 1914 he was a station porter at Winchester.

Awarded the 1914 Star for services at Antwerp he went on to serve at Gallipoli. 

Recieved 21 days field punishment No 1 for being drunk at 2nd Army Trench Motar School on 12 Nov 1918!

58 DM.

Thanks so much all for your help, this should be enough to please the family...we'll in terms of info not the bit about getting drunk!

Thanks

Ruth

Ruth,

Your man is entirely innocent (probably!).

My post described the services of another marine with a very similar service record.

58 DM.

On 07/01/2020 at 16:49, Ruth123 said:

Not sure if anyone can help, I've manged to get some of the details but copy obtained is poor, any suggestions on content on notes would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ruth

Written Notes on record.pdf 717.28 kB · 14 downloads

Not sure if you were looking for interpretation of all the "notes", but to me it seems like the following:

"Posted to 536 Siege Battery

R.G.A. Lydd 

Adm to Hospital 8-12-18

.......... 3 of 18-1-19

Discharged from Hospital 2-1-19 to

III Corps Siege Park

D.O. Part II 15-2-19 “