Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where demobbed

BIFFO

after  Nov 11th 1918,and units were being "stood down"when they troops were in France/Belgium,would they be demobbed there OR brought back to uk them demobbed from their depots?.

My latest "researched"welsh man was in the 19th Glamorgan Pioneers Welsh Regiment,he was in France ,the WD doesn't say other than the 1st batch sent back to uk 14th January 1919

would he be returned  on a troop ship gone to his depot for the Welsh Regiment then demobbed  from Maindy barracks Cardiff??  

:poppy:

Thank you Chris,:thumbsup:

thats cleared up the confusion 

Biffo

You might also be interested to read

THE SOLDIERS' PEACE

by Michael Senior (2018)

:thumbsup:

On 05/01/2020 at 18:13, Chris_Baker said:

Chris

Did this apply to all men, independent of service branch, based on their area/county of residence?

My Grandfather was RFA from Oxfordshire which should mean he was discharged at Chisledon (quiet convenient actually) however his diary records him travelling by train from Swindon to '?eysbury' (first character(s) is unreadable) on the Salisbury Plain. I have various demob papers which are stamped Woolich, Blackheath and Fovant.

The only rail station I can find on existing/closed lines out of Swindon that could match is Heytesbury for Knook Camp.

Bob

Heytesbury immediately came to my mind when I read your last post. And there was a railway station nearby. During the Great War, it was called Heytesbury Camp and then re-named Knook. Swindon, of course, is very close to Chisledon, which had its own station and siding and platform. (This wasn't on the main line, though a camp halt was opened after the war.) And, as the LLT article shows, Fovant was also a demobilisation centre.

One can suggest all sorts of reasons for your grandfather's journey. Perhaps he had some business to carry out at Heytesbury Camp and the journey from there to Fovant would have been easier than to Chisledon.

Moonraker

• 2 weeks later...

i have a chap Rees Jenkins 2779, 6th batt W.R,born  in Swansea,joined the W.R, went off to WF,became wounded(dont know how yet) released no longer physically fit,with S.W.B. and pension,all his papers say,from infantry base depot,as per Chris post would that mean western command dispersal area,?

On 08/01/2020 at 16:56, Moonraker said:

Heytesbury immediately came to my mind when I read your last post.

Thanks Moonraker. That makes sense, the MSWJR was a Red Herring!

Bob

• 1 month later...
On 21/01/2020 at 20:15, RobertBr said:

Thanks Moonraker. That makes sense, the MSWJR was a Red Herring!

Possibly not, the MSWJR line ran from Southampton to Swindon, so would have been the logical way to get troops from the ships, up to the main London / Bristol line and from the camp at Chiseldon to the Southampton ships for deployment 

On 21/02/2020 at 23:00, grantowi said:

Possibly not, the MSWJR line ran from Southampton to Swindon, so would have been the logical way to get troops from the ships, up to the main London / Bristol line and from the camp at Chiseldon to the Southampton ships for deployment 

I omitted from my first post that prior to his Demob he was stationed in Germany(Germund). His diary lists his route as Calais to Dover, then London, Reading, Swindon and then Heytesbury.