Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Star Medal Roll annotation re forfeited medal

Pat Atkins

Would very much appreciate help with a handwritten comment in the Remarks column of the 1914 Star rolls, which reads (I'm fairly sure):

"FORFEITED under Aut. 1236 (B) R.W."

The Medal Roll entry is for 9938 Pte Donovan, 2nd South Lancs (I'm looking at some of their 1914 BEF contingent) - I'd be grateful if somebody could decode this for me!

Cheers, Pat

I believe it is Article 1236 (B) Royal Warrant.

I have also come across a similar comment, whilst researching a Boer War Veteran, who was convicted by a civil power for stealing a quantity of beer and committing an indecent act in the street (no imagination need to work out what this act was after consuming the beer). He was still on the Army Reserve, when he was found guilty, and sentenced to 3 months hard labour, so he was also dishonourably discharged for the AR and his medals forfeited. See attached.

Hope this helps.

Sepoy

NB So far I have not been able to find out the precise wording of Article 1236

carney04.jpg

Edited by Sepoy

That's just what I was after, Sepoy - many thanks.

Cheers, Pat

Edit: your example looks more like 1256, though, on closer scrutiny. Might just be the inadequacies of doing this on my phone, though, will check when I get the chance.

Edited by Pat Atkins

This may help

Article 1236 is defined in the following terms:
Pay Warrant 1914 "Forfeiture and Restoration of Medals, Annuities and Gratuities" originally stated in the opening sub-paras;- Para 1236. Every soldier who;-
(a)is found guilty by a court martial of desertion, fraudulent enlistment, or any other offence under Section 17 or 18 of the Army Act.
(b)is liable to trial on confession of desertion, or fraudulent enlistment, but whose trial has been dispensed with.
shall forfeit all medals and decorations(other then the Victoria Cross, which is dealt with under special regulations) of which he may be in possession, or to which he may be entitled, together with the annuity or gratuity, if any thereto appertaining. Sub-paras c and d were also reason for forfeiture, but do not cover desertion.

Thanks, Ray. Much appreciated. Interesting that this forfeiture includes gallantry awards as well as campaign medals.

Pat

forfeit.JPG.cb22b397cc2e8a758537eb51b545a660.JPG

That is your answer

Wonderful, thanks very much.

Cheers, Pat