Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing tank name ..what's the prospect ?

Steviebullsatatter

I posted last year about this man on behalf of a close friend and I've just been re reading the original posts .

It made me wonder if there was a possibility of tracing the name or number of the tank in which the soldier was fatally wounded. 

Frederick arscott 75930 ' D' Battalion 

KIA  20th November 1917

Any pointers, advice or help in any way would be gratefully received. 

Regards 

Steve 

It should be possible. The expert on D Bn on 20 Nov 17 is @johntaylor

Thanks Gareth

I appreciate that .

Steve 

Here are your previous threads - it will help newcomers if they read them first.

2 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

It should be possible. The expert on D Bn on 20 Nov 17 is @johntaylor

And John posted in the threads I have copied.

You're a star.

Thanks 

Hi Steve, thanks to Gareth for passing on my details and I've responded to your PM.

Unfortunately we can't assign Frederick Arscott to a particular tank, since crew lists aren't available for this particular action. The original location of his burial makes it overwhelmingly likely (or even certain) that he was in one of the D Battalion tanks that were allocated to G Battalion for the attack on Havrincourt on November 20. However despite our best efforts, we haven't been able to take it any further in terms of identifying which particular tank he was in.

I will send you the information we have available, but would stress that nothing fresh has come up since the previous inquiry in 2018.

All the best, John

Thankyou so much for your help .

I'll let Louisa know.

Much appreciated. 

Steve 

On 04/01/2020 at 15:46, Steviebullsatatter said:

I posted last year about this man on behalf of a close friend and I've just been re reading the original posts .

It made me wonder if there was a possibility of tracing the name or number of the tank in which the soldier was fatally wounded. 

Frederick arscott 75930 ' D' Battalion 

KIA  20th November 1917

Any pointers, advice or help in any way would be gratefully received. 

Regards 

Steve 

Seeing his CWGC entry he was a reburial at Hermies Hill cemetery. He was originally found at map location K.33.a.0.7as an unidentified casualty (noted identified by uniform as MGC Tanks). This location presumably close to where he was killed may  be a help. 

57d.J.29.b.5.4 is on the left and 57d.K.33.a.0.7 on the right.  I wonder why they brought the remains 3 kilometres back as the crow flies rather than to closer cemeteries?

image.png.55965ba43f5aca4a454db3293bed1b2e.png

Image preview.tmapper.com.

Hi, I'm not sure that location is correct. I think K.33.a.0.7 is south-west of Havrincourt, between that village and Canal du Nord - exactly where the words "Dean Copse" appear on the attached map. This would be in the sector attacked by G Battalion and 62nd Division on November 20. Unfortunately I don't think we know enough about the individual tanks in this sector to link him to a particular tank.

John

Grave location.JPG

Edited by johntaylor

It's a puzzle..

Thanks for the input guys