Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with: John Tunny 175902 RE pls

James123

James

It is worth down loading the 178 TC WD (WO 95/405/2) and you will need this NLS map 57 C to plot the positions around Gouzeaucourt, Gonnelieu and Villers Guislain where the Company was working.https://maps.nls.uk/view/101465209

The Company was employed building dugouts for Brigade, Bn and other HQs and map references are quoted for all work completed. The WD records that the Co came under the control of the CE (Chief Engineer) 3rd Corps "but this made little difference as most arrangements were made direct with CREs (Commanders Royal Engineers) 40th and 35 Divns". Working parties were provided from those Divisions, plus 700 German prisoners, to carry timber from south of the Somme for the construction.

It may be worth reading the WDs of the CREs 35 and 40 Divs.

Brian 

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

Thankyou so much Brian I appreciate  your help so much👍

I will download them and have a read through

Edited by James123

Just a thought, as John Tunny's MSM gazette date was 17/01/1919

And 

His MM gazette date was 22/07/1919

Would it be possible that his MSM was downgraded from a MM to a MSM? Did that happen? 

I would of thought a MSM for services in France would come after his MM? 

Like I said just a thought. 

Just found this passenger list for John William Tunny, listed as a tunnel builder. 

Interesting that he was a tunnel builder prior to outbreak of war, all other tunnellers I've come across so far apear to have been miners. 

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=1518&h=20615802&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=1262

Screenshot_20200108_210750.jpg

Edited by James123

I did say he was a pit sinker earlier on in post 20.  Sinkers moves round pits often as it was a skilled job basically starting the tunnel. 

3 minutes ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

I did say he was a pit sinker earlier on in post 20.  Sinkers moves round pits often as it was a skilled job basically starting the tunnel. 

Oh thankyou I must have missed that. I've never come across that term so will read up about it. 

Amazing that in 1914 he was returning from South America with his job

My Welsh side of the family were miners I believe that was a very dangerous and could be a well paid job so possibly travelling for money/adventure/expertise.  Think I read book about Scottish miners as pit sinkers you might be able to google it.  These were considered elite miners.  Actually the book might have been about Durham sinkers. 

Edited by Alisonmallen62