Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with: John Tunny 175902 RE pls

James123

Evening everyone.,

Can any of you good souls please help me regarding the following gent:

John William Tunny 175902 Royal Engineers, 179 Tunnelling Company. 

I know he won a MM and MSM, are citations for these medals available or survive? He was born 1880 and was living in Noting Hill during his WW1 service. 

Also what would be my best best trying to track down a pic of him, were gallentry medal winners photo put in local newspapers? Or is it a case of pot luck, 

Many thanks 

James

no citations survive in the whole - best bet for "why" is local newspapers

and same for a picture of him 

never had much luck with newspapers in london during ww1 - never seem to have one I want on FMP/BNA

just had a quick look and cant see anything sorry

sometimes you can find info where a soldiers parents lived but as you rightly say its pot luck

Many thanks guys, I will see what I can decipher from his records. 

I tried searching FMP/BNA once before and failed miserably, found it difficult to find anything 

Ive checked the HUGE MM citation archive on the British Medal Forum - nothing there (and it made it easier having a not common name)

1 minute ago, James123 said:

FMP

Note there are two service record hits on FMP. One includes some papers for Tufnell. I've sent error message to FMP.

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:

Note there are two service record hits on FMP. One includes some papers for Tufnell. I've sent error message to FMP.

Thankyou Charlie962

41 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

Ive checked the HUGE MM citation archive on the British Medal Forum - nothing there (and it made it easier having a not common name)

Thankyou Coldstream era for taking time to look for me, much appreciated 

55 minutes ago, James123 said:

Anyone got any idea what this place name is please? 

Grandcourt ?

James, I think there are two sets of records on Ancestry as well as Findmypast. Furthermore on one of the Ancestry records if you backpage you get into Tunstall's records but there are a couple of Tunny pages within. All very confusing !

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Hi James,

2 minutes ago, James123 said:

Grandcourt could work Corisande

The diaries should nail it, but I thought it might read as Geudecourt.

Regards

Chris

Thanks to member little Bob, i know that John Tunny was wounded 12/13 June 1917 whilst serving in 178 TC, so this word must be an area they were working at that time. 

yes that is given on a Hospital Admissions and looking at the Service Record it seems he was posted to Base Depot on first going o'seas and the, probably 178 Tunnelling. Perhaps on his return from hospitalisation he then joined 179 Co. I think its there somewhere but difficult to read.

I hope I've not made you spend money on wrong diary. But presumably 179 was where he earned MM and MSM ?

Charlie

Looking at service record one child was born in bedwellty South Wales, probably working in the mines around Merthyr - I guess always a chance he knew Tom Lloyd my relative also RE living in same area at the time. It is an area where everyone knew everyone. Possibly working in colliery around Bargoed/Abergoed. 1911 was a pit sinker. There is a family tree unsure if yours? Maybe they know more? Or you could try the papers in Wales in case of a report about him? 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

I would agree that it is probably Guedecourt.

Ron

Thankyou guys, 

Yes it looks like he moved around a bit. Noticed page in his papers thats like an employer reference, headed Cecil Chambers, presumably he worked for Cecil Chambers? 

I have no trace of John Tunny 175902 on my RE index.

The WDs for 179 TC (WO 95/244/7 and 244/8) go up to the end of July 1917. Other ranks, including those of attached infantry, are named. I have only indexed 1916 but had a quick look in 1917 with no result.

The WDs for 178 TC (WO 95/405/1 and 405/2) name names without numbers in 1916 but this stops in November. 405/2 covers June 1917 but casualties are not recorded. I note both his MSM and MM are in the LG 31132 and 31469, both 1919. 

Brian 

Thanks Brian, appreciate it. As he was wounded June 1917 with 178 TC is it worth downloading the diary to try and get an idea where he was when wounded.

I've downloaded the 179 TC diary (not had chance to look yet)  see if theres a slim chance he's mentioned in 179 TC diary towards the end of the war? Regarding his MM or MSM ?