Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question re: conscription and overseas Americans

Sawpatin

I was just wondering whether Americans (of military age) who happened to be domiciled outside the US during the war, and who failed to register for the draft back home, were liable for any form of punishment as "draft dodgers", either during the war or afterward?

I'm thinking, for example, of American citizens living in places like Canada, the international concessions in China, the UK, etc. For example, if wikipedia is to be believed, "In 1916, Americans accounted for 36% of all the foreign-born residents of Alberta, 30% in Saskatchewan, and 8% in Manitoba." (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Canadians). I think I'm right in saying that, during WW1, the age for conscription was 18-30, later expanded to 18-45. I'd be surprised if at least some of those Americans in Canada didn't fall within that age range. Likewise for some of the male employees of American companies based in places like Shanghai and Hong Kong during the 1910s. Given that situation, I'm curious what would have happened to them if they did not register under the Selective Service Act.

Edited by Sawpatin