Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4144 William B Chell 2Bn Royal Lancaster Regiment

I am trying to research the men on Brampton Derbyshire war memorial.  W. B. Chell appears there.

The CWGC gives the following information.:-

4144 Private William Chell of the 2nd Bn King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) died 26th April 1915 and is commemorated on Panel 12 at the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium.

I cannot find a link to Brampton for any of the five births of W.B. Chell's that could be him. 

John Buxton ( sorry but my computer over wrote my user name)

As Alf above has found I suspect as he had four children.

Screenshot_20191231-002502.jpg

The family were living at 22 Sterland Street in October 1916.

Screenshot_20191231-004616.jpg

Screenshot_20191231-004548.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

Sounds as though he had a tough life....this article was from January 1914. He was sentenced to 21 days hard Labour.

Screenshot_20191231-005833.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

I think this is your William Chell. Register of Soldiers' Effects has his sole legatee as Elizabeth Ann. A William Bernard married Elizabeth Ann Higgins in Staffs in 1905.

This is them in the 1911 census:

Name:William Bernard Chell

Age in 1911:32

Estimated birth year:abt 1879

Relation to Head:Head

Birth Place:Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire

Civil Parish:Stoke upon Trent

Search Photos:Search for 'Stoke upon Trent' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection

County/Island:Staffordshire

Street address:34 Registry Street, Stoke On Trent, Stoke Upon Trent, Staffordshire

Marital status:Married

Years Married:7

Estimated Marriage Year:1904

Registration district:Stoke upon Trent

Registration District Number:361

Sub-registration district:Stoke upon Trent

ED, institution, or vessel:12

Household schedule number:184

Piece:16560

Household Members:

NameAge

William Bernard Chell 32

Elizabeth Ann Chell 31

Mary Elizabeth Chell 5

Lee Bernard Chell 4

Clement John Chell 2

35 y.o. I suppose is young to be a pauper. The children (inc. Lee/Leo) match Alf's post above..

Mike

Thanks to the Western Front Association / Ancestry (Fold3) there is a Pension Card and Pension Ledger for CHELL, William 4144

PC = His widow Elizabeth Ann b.29.10.79 remarried to KEY - PC also marked as DEAD but this is not dated [such a notation usually refers to the death of a widow]

Four children for Separation Allowance:

Mary Elizabeth b 29.7.05

Leo Bernard b.10.2.07

Clement John b.27.1.09

Joseph Dennis b.21.4.11

a payment of 50F was paid 15.10.15

on 6.11.15 a pension of 25/- per week was awarded from 15.11.15  [Edit: as mother had remarried the children would be classed as 'motherless children' and eligible in their own rights for a pension - 1st child 7/- and 2nd and additional children for 6/- each if in same household = 7+6+6+6 = 25/-]

The card was 'Noted for Novel' 

[which although not definitively known is thought to mean was for special treatment as probably more complicated than many others - certainly his widow had remarried so pension would normally stop for her but continue/be reduced for just the children until they were each 16 years old - but see below from PL]

PL [The PL was only opened in 1925 and has a different ledger reference number so does not directly relate to the PC though still a 25/- award]

= Widow's address given as 27 Barker Lane, Brampton, Chesterfield

There are many administrative notations 1925-27 [starting with a Supplementary Award 4/2/25]  - and 1927 would be the 16th birthday of the youngest child, Joseph Dennis. But also a more interesting/revealing note under Remarks:

"Clement John" allowance continued from 28/1/25 until the disability changes for the better or he attains the age of 21 years, whichever is the earlier (Authority 3/2/25)

[this might also explain late opening of the PL and the 'Noted for Novel' annotation on the PC - he had a disability, which meant his allowance continued after his 16th birthday - he would have been 21 in 1928 so it is not yet explained why the ledger administrative notes only go to 1927 - it might be hypothesised that amongst various speculative options perhaps he either got better?, was admitted to an institution [payments would stop - perhaps on the death of his mother/carer??] or he died??? in 1927]

Edited by Matlock1418
additions

36 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

"Clement John" allowance continued from 28/1/25 until the disability changes for the better or he attains the age of 21 years, whichever is the earlier (Authority 3/2/25)

[this might also explain late opening of the PL and the 'Noted for Novel' annotation on the PC - he had a disability, which meant his allowance continued after his 16th birthday - he would have been 21 in 1928 so it is not yet explained why the ledger administrative notes only go to 1927 - it might be hypothesised that amongst various speculative options perhaps he either got better?, was admitted to an institution [payments would stop - perhaps on the death of his mother/carer??] or he died??? in 1927]

Yes he died in 1927:

Name:Clement J Chell

Death Age:18

Birth Date:abt 1909

Registration Date:Jul 1927
[Aug 1927] 
[Sep 1927] 

Registration Quarter:Jul-Aug-Sep

Registration district:Chesterfield

Inferred County:Derbyshire

Volume:7b

Page:608

Mike

13 minutes ago, Langdon said:

Yes he died in 1927:

Name:Clement J Chell

Death Age:18

Ah - now explained.

And his younger brother Joseph Dennis would have also have become 16 in 1927 hence also explanation closure of PL in 1927

Edit: So because Joseph Dennis had earlier became 16 yo in Apr 1927 [and had his allowance stopped] and Clement John died in c.Jul-Sep 1927 the "DEAD" [bringing the claim to a close] on the PC must have referred to CJ and not his mother after all.

Edited by Matlock1418
addit

Morning, I'm new to the forum and was directed to this site by a member of Ancestry who recognised William as being in my family tree.

William was the cousin of my great grandmother Mary Lucy Chell. There were three cousins all called William Bernard Chell, born within a few years of each other. William Bernard Lawrence Chell was born in 1874, William Bernard Chell 1877 and the above William Bernard born around Oct 1880. 

During the 1881 census only William aged 6 months was living with his parents (in Shelton, Stoke). His two older siblings living with relatives. An explanation might be his father's poor mental health. His father Clement John Chell (born 1851 in Tinker's Clough, Stoke) was admitted to the Stafford Lunacy Asylum in 1869 and in 1878 and 1881 (after his marriage). 

Sometime between 1881 and 1885 Clement appears to have gone to live with, or visit, his own brother Charles who had emigrated to America. Clement died in New York in 1885, aged 34 when William was 5 years old. William's mother didn't remarry and lived with her sister for a long time. 

I'm now interested in accessing the documents above. He did indeed have a difficult life. 

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Hi, Clement did die in 1927. There is no record on the 1911 census form of him having any disability, however he was only 2 so a learning difficulty perhaps wouldn't have been apparent then. I don't know what he died of but am intrigued now so will get a copy of his death certificate. 

• spof changed the title to 4144 William B Chell 2Bn Royal Lancaster Regiment