Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Robert Gibson 9th Royal Scots

nilis11

I am researching this man: Second Lt. Robert Gibson, age 39, wounded and missing and later found killed on 23 July 1916 near High Wood. He was in B coy. 9th Royal Scots and is buried in Delville Wood Cemetery. He was from Edinburgh. This is about all I have so any more information about this man is most welcome. 

Hi

Probate records show he was a joiner, having resided at 35 Lauriston Street, Edinburgh and latterly at 42 Learmouth Grove,  as per CWGC record. Probate confirmation was granted to his widow 30.11.1917 to "Barbara Jane Riddle or Gibson" of 42 Learmouth Grove, His will was dated 18th March, 1908...looking

His MIC shows he was previously CSM 98 9th Royal Scots. Entered France 24.2.15. Address on MIC 42 Learmouth Grove. Public Tree on Ancestry

Father John Gibson 1855-1925. Mother Elizabeth Gourley Baxter 1854-1918 Widow Barbara J Riddle1879-1951.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

He's in the 1901 Scottish Census (below) and also in the Edinburgh Electoral Registers for 1910/11 and 1914/15 (42 Learmouth Grove) -

Name:Robert Gibson

Estimated birth year:abt 1878

Relationship:Son

Father's name:John Gibson

Mother's name:Lizzie Gibson

Where born:Biggar, Lanarkshire

Registration Number:685/1

Registration district:St George

Civil Parish:Edinburgh Dean

County:Midlothian

Address:90 Comely Bk Aven

ED:73

Household schedule number:82

Line:11

Roll:CSSCT1901_366

Household Members:

NameAge

John Gibson 45

Lizzie Gibson 45

Lavinia Gibson 25

Robert Gibson 23

James Gibson 14

Agnes Mary Gibson 18

Ann Gibson 6

Bessie Gibson 3

Mike

His Medal Index Card shows that he was a Company Sergeant Major in the 9th prior to his commission and entered France on 24.02.15

Mike

Family tree on Ancestry - click

But they do not have a marriage, and probate implies he might not have married his "widow"

Oops, found the marriage in Edinburgh in 1902

Edited by corisande

Hi again

Soldiers' effects show his date of death as "Accepted 22.7.1916 Credits "£12.7s.6d." According to tree on Ancestry they had 1 daughter Ann b. 17.7. 1915 died 2004. The tree in the above link has some incorrect information regarding date of Robert Gibson's death and SDGW record !! Ann married an Alexander Nicholson and had 4 children.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

1 hour ago, The Inspector said:

Hi again

Soldiers' effects show his date of death as "Accepted 22.7.1916 Credits "£12.7s.6d." According to tree on Ancestry they had 1 daughter Ann b. 17.7. 1915 died 2004. The tree in the above link has some incorrect information regarding date of Robert Gibson's death and SDGW record !! Ann married an Alexander Nicholson and had 4 children.

Regards Barry

Ancestry trees are notoriously unreliable. The one above has the SDGW record of a Private in the Royal Scots Fusiliers! Same name and birthplace only...

Neill Gilhooley of this forum, who has just published a history of the 9th Royal Scots, has put up a great online resource as well, with all the names of 9th RS he has discovered and noting the various sources for the info.  You will find a fair bit about Gibson if you visit https://neillgilhooley.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/index_e-k_9rs_ver5.pdf  .  It's worth starting at the beginning of the surname Gibson entries (with no initials) rather than just looking at "R" or "Robert" as there is at least one there which looks to be him as well.

Wow totally impressed with all this information. Interesting to read he was QSM in the 9ths Royal Scots and was commissioned in the same regiment. I learned that it was customary to be commissioned in another regiment or battalion. 

12 hours ago, pierssc said:

Neill Gilhooley of this forum, who has just published a history of the 9th Royal Scots, has put up a great online resource as well, with all the names of 9th RS he has discovered and noting the various sources for the info.  You will find a fair bit about Gibson if you visit https://neillgilhooley.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/index_e-k_9rs_ver5.pdf  .  It's worth starting at the beginning of the surname Gibson entries (with no initials) rather than just looking at "R" or "Robert" as there is at least one there which looks to be him as well.

I did get the book for Christmas 

15777909339518395672116861610443.jpg

1 hour ago, nilis11 said:

Interesting to read he was QSM in the 9ths Royal Scots and was commissioned in the same regiment. I learned that it was customary to be commissioned in another regiment or battalion. 

Yes that was my understanding too - my 9th RS Gt Uncle was commissioned into the 1st Gordons for example.  I think thIs was because it was reckoned that it would be difficult for all parties for someone to become an officer and then have to deal with friends/soldiers/NCOs/officers who had known him before his commission.  Better that he have a fresh start somewhere else.  But in this case I suspect that it was thought that since Gibson was a Sgt Major, he already was a respected figure of authority within the Battalion.

Yes I got the book as well!

The picture I have of Sgt R Gibson from the 1909 Colour Party is here:

IMG_0936

(This photo is in the Royal Scots Club in Edinburgh)

The Diary of James Lawson Cairns that mentions him is transcribed here: https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/diary-of-james-lawson-cairns/

His signature:

Gibson.jpg.33c4f7d6de969d9f264bd8c77f1b0c98.jpg

I agree with Piers that as a Sgt Maj he had the respect of all, and was too good to lose.

I'm glad you've got the book!

Edited by Neill Gilhooley