Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hawke Battalion November 1915

Chris_Baker

I am sure you know of the Hawke Bn book by Jerrold. It gets a thumbs up here:

Maybe @michaeldr can chip in?

Edited by Gareth Davies

I have a copy. It unfortunately skirts around the period I am particularly interested in knowing more about! It goes straight from 2 to 16 November!

Edited by Chris_Baker

Ah, how annoying.

The dearth of war diaries for the RND naval battalions at Gallipoli and the few/thin other narratives is very frustrating for RND researchers.

Looking at the first half of November 1915, it seems the tempo of operations was low. The 1st Brigade, which included Hawke Bn. was in the line for several days in this period, Hawke Battalion had only two casualties kia both on 9 November. (The other three 1st Bde Bns had barely a handful of kia between them). The available info indicates that they were around Worcester Barricade and Southern Barricade. The RND had moved to a new bivouac/rest area on 30 October and theTurks shelled them on 1 November. Hawke Bn seems to have been in the line from 3 November, were still there on 6 November and may have been relieved on 10th.

Slim pickings. I am afraid, but that is all I have. Hope it is of some use, Chris.

12 hours ago, horatio2 said:

The available info indicates that they were around Worcester Barricade and Southern Barricade. The RND had moved to a new bivouac/rest area on 30 October and theTurks shelled them on 1 November. Hawke Bn seems to have been in the line from 3 November, were still there on 6 November and may have been relieved on 10th.

The 3rd November date is given in one of Ker's letters quoted by Jerrold in his 'Hawke Battalion' (page 98)

The 6th November 1915 was a Saturday, and on that day the diary of Harry Askin 'A Marine at Gallipoli and on the Western Front' (Pen & Sword Military, 2015, ISBN 978 1 47382 784 4) has (page 72)

"The Hawkes had a little stunt on the Saturday night. They advanced from both barricades, but only succeeded in making headway from the Southern. From there they advanced about twenty-five yards and dug in. They had several casualties."

Looking at the footnotes and references in Pat Francis' 'A Quiet Life' there should be weekly Reports by General Paris to be seen in ADM 137/3086 [e.g. that for 7-13th Nov 1915 is given as ADM 137/3086, 171]

14 hours ago, Chris_Baker said:

the Hawke Battalion in the first two weeks of November 1915

Chris, I don't know (without checking) whether this covers the period but you may find it useful.

sJ

907433363_HistoryoftheMedicalUnitoftheRoyalNavalDivision-ArthurGaskell.pdf

12 hours ago, horatio2 said:

The available info indicates that they were around Worcester Barricade and Southern Barricade.

36 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

"The Hawkes had a little stunt on the Saturday night. They advanced from both barricades, but only succeeded in making headway from the Southern. From there they advanced about twenty-five yards and dug in. They had several casualties."

The positions referred to can be clearly seen on this map which is dated 5th November 1915

1633578336_SouthernBarricadeHelles.thumb.jpg.52b0e06f0bbdac5426db0aa35224ca5f.jpg

The map is to be found in Capt Christopher Page's book on A M Asquith DSO, 'Command in the Royal Naval Division'

On page 60 there is

"The Turkish Trenches were only fifteen yards from the foremost positions, so on 5 November, presumably inspired by the knowledge that it was Guy Fawkes Day, a major strafe of the enemy lines was undertaken. The extent of the damage to the Turks was not discovered, but the RND's own lines received some hits from British mortars which fired short." 

Thank you all. All very useful and enough for what I am doing at present. If anyone ever comes across any memoirs or private papers of a man of the battalion that mentions this period, I would be interested to know of it.

You're welcome Chris

2 hours ago, Chris_Baker said:

If anyone ever comes across any memoirs or private papers of a man of the battalion that mentions this period, I would be interested to know of it.

and likewise, if you dig up something pertinent from ADM 137/3038, then please share it here;

as we've discovered, this period is not at all well covered in the litt.

All the best

Michael

6 hours ago, michaeldr said:

.........in Capt Christopher Page's book on A M Asquith DSO, 'Command in the Royal Naval Division'

On page 60 there is

"The Turkish Trenches were only fifteen yards from the foremost positions, so on 5 November, presumably inspired by the knowledge that it was Guy Fawkes Day, a major strafe of the enemy lines was undertaken. The extent of the damage to the Turks was not discovered, but the RND's own lines received some hits from British mortars which fired short." 

To complete the picture, the map below also shows the Turkish trenches facing this part of the line

846608547_MapHellesNorthernBarricade.jpg.615e414c5033a3b99e616d24d04ba368.jpg

A couple of pages from the diary of CPO Robert Findlay KP/317 RNVR of Hawke Battalion. Note the diary is for 1914 and that his reports of men killed do not match the modern records of casualties:-

image.png.4d20ea3c02b6f221561ecc6d53ef3982.png

image.png.46b298bb6707704f1f8b32958857950c.png

• 2 months later...

My Great Grandfathers brother Thomas Dunphy Tyneside z 1178 he was in the Hawke Battalion this is his photo and his Naval records of the time , he passed away in 1955 . Records show he was wounded a number of times . Fitting dates of Thomas’s records to the Hawke Battalions war diaries would be very interesting indeed . Thanks for posting your information it’s nice to read about Hawke Battalion as it shines light on Thomas and his past history and events he was involved in and helps our family understand a little what he once went through.  Thomas is pictured here on the far right with his Naval cap . I often wonder where this was taken . Thank best regards Guss . 

039E7D5F-E2F5-42E6-A4E4-29C410584F01.jpeg

EDC3984C-5798-439C-ABA9-F2E0DB1D7F24.jpeg

663B3E01-C047-4B6B-9212-E601742ED58A.jpeg

87FB93D0-70B6-448B-838A-27084F094007.jpeg

9A28FF1F-3487-450C-BF58-CB0CDD1EE68C.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Spartyguss said:

Thomas is pictured here on the far right with his Naval cap . I often wonder where this was taken .

This photograph was almost certainly taken at Blandford Camp, probably in Spring 1915 before Hawke Bn deployed to Gallipoli in early May.