Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Norman George Wood

RNR TRAWLERS

Norman George Wood

Thanks for letting me join your group. 

My Great Uncle Thomas Bett Wood 1893-1941 was married to Dorothy Dickinson in Aberdeen 1919, in Thomas's remarks were that he was serving on HM MV Warden in 1919. 

I can't find any information on the vessel. 

Thomas died on 27th March 1941 on board the SS Kinclaven due to enemy aircraft off the Faroe Isles. There were no survivors out of a crew of ten. 

Please reply at your earliest convenience. 

Kind regards, 

Norman George Wood 

Norman George Wood

Thanks very much for the information. 

I'm doing a family history research project. Thomas had four brothers who served in the Royal Naval Reserve Trawler Division. They were John Wood (Skipper) 1888-1960, Henry Bett Wood (Skipper) 1890-1946, Peter Bett Wood (Skipper) 1893-1964 and Alexander Wood (Skipper) 1895-1933. 

I have the records for Henry and Peter but can't find anything for John or Alexander. 

Alexander and his crew were all lost at sea just off Stonehaven on board the Venetia in 1933. 

Norman 

horatio2

Several skippers named John and Alexander Wood. Can you post their p.o.b. (I assume Fife) and d.o.b. to narrow the search, please?

Norman George Wood

John's date of birth, 2nd August 1888. 

Alexander's date of birth, 4th July 1895. 

Both were born in Cellardyke in the County of Kilrenny in Fife. 

There parents were, 

Thomas Wood and Elizabeth Murray Wood, m.s. Bett. 

Norman 

horatio2

It is worth noting that a man who was a skipper in civilian trade did not necessarily serve as a skipper in the RNR. Many civilian skippers were deck hands or second hands RNR.

RNR records show several John and Alexanders. P.o.b. show men from Pittenweem and Anstruther but none with the same d.o.b. as you give.

Alexander Wood - this man is a possible - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8509002 Born Anstruther 11 June 1895 and parents Thomas and Elizabeth. He enrolled as a deck hand RNR and was eventually a second hand. Not an RNR skipper.

John Wood - five hits here for Fife men - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_fn=john&_ln=wood&_pl=fife*&_q=&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=BT+164++&_cr2=BT+377++&_col=200&_hb=tna  However, none has 1888 d.o.b.

Norman George Wood

Thanks your information on Alexander is correct, I gave you the wrong date of birth. Alexander had a very eventful service in WW1, according to newspaper memorial reports after he was lost sea in 1933, he was blown up at least twice and survived. 

John was born at 10 Dove Street in Cellardyke on the 2nd August 1888. 

John was the Skipper of the Strathalford A50 when it was wrecked in a storm off Wick in 1940. Three of the crew were lost. 

Norman 

horatio2

A search of RNR records has failed to trace any John Wood born in Fife in 1888. It is possible that he was a civilian skipper employed in fishing and that his boat was not hired by the Admiralty for service in the RNR Trawler Section (Auxiliary Patrol). From mid-1917 some 400 civilian fishing trawlers and their crews were brought under Admiralty Control in the Fishery Reserve, their skippers being given RNR 'WFS' official numbers. These WFS records are not among the surviving RNR records. However, a check of the WFS Skippers in the Navy Lists finds no trace of a John Wood in the Fishery Reserve. STRATHALFORD was a post-war trawler (1929).

Norman George Wood

Thank you Horatio2 for your help and information regarding my relatives. 

John is the only brother, my Grandfather who I can't find any service record for in WW1 & WW2. Henry 1890 -1946, Thomas 1893 -1941 and Peter 1894 - 1964 all served in both wars, all survived. 

Alexander WW1 1895-1933. 

I'll keep researching John. 

Thanks again. 

Norman 

rolt968

Could he have been serving under T124 agreement? I don't know very much about T124 agreements. There are people on the forum who know much more. Under a T124 agreement a merchant seaman served on a naval vessel without actually joining the RN or one of the reserves. I believe that some trawlermen served on boom defence vessels (converted trawlers) under T124 agreements (not my information see the thread which follows):

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/277737-deckhands-john-david-sutherland/

RM

Edited by rolt968

KizmeRD

Ty Skipper John Wood RNR served on HMD Plantin in WW1. The ship was mined and sunk 26 April 1917. His son (also John) was also serving onboard as Engine an (ES 2683).

Regards,

Michael

KizmeRD

Since the source of the above information was the Royal Naval Roll of Honour Vol. 2, we can safely assume these two gents were not the same John Wood who was still around to skipper the Strathalford in WW2.

Regards,

Michael

horatio2

There are ten Skippers John Wood on the RNR medal roll (including the above) none of whom meet the OP's p.o.b./d.o.b. criteria.

There is, however, a Skipper John Wood of the Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR), who qualified for the British War Medal only for service in the THISTLE, which may have been a boom defemce vessel. There are numerous boats named THISTLE in the naval service. I can match this man neither to a specific boat nor to p.o.b. and d.o.b. He was not a casualty.

Norman George Wood

Hi Gentlemen, 

Thanks for your research, very much appreciated into my Grandfather John Wood born at 10 Dove Street in Cellardyke, Kilrenny in Fife 1888. His parents were Thomas Wood and Elizabeth Murray Bett who married in 1883.

John died in Aberdeen 1960.

Norman 

Robert Richardson

Hi Norman, Thomas Bett Wood was my grandfather. We must be second or third cousins! Following WW2, his widow Dorothy and children, Thomas, Leslie, Alistair, Freda, Shirley, Doreen and Eileen (my mother) migrated to Australia. My mother was two years old when he was lost and my uncle Alistair hadn't been born. My mother doesn't remember her father and knows very little about him. Sadly Leslie who became a fishermen in Australia was drowned in 1954 when his trawler sank off Eden, New South Wales. Best regards Robert

Norman George Wood
3 hours ago, Robert Richardson said:

Hi Norman, Thomas Bett Wood was my grandfather. We must be second or third cousins! Following WW2, his widow Dorothy and children, Thomas, Leslie, Alistair, Freda, Shirley, Doreen and Eileen (my mother) migrated to Australia. My mother was two years old when he was lost and my uncle Alistair hadn't been born. My mother doesn't remember her father and knows very little about him. Sadly Leslie who became a fishermen in Australia was drowned in 1954 when his trawler sank off Eden, New South Wales. Best regards Robert

Hi Robert, thanks very much for getting back to me, it is great to hear from you. Am I correct in that you are Robert Richardson, born in 1961 to Eileen Richardson m.s. Wood born, who was on the 14th December 1937 in Aberdeen, Scotland and Thomas Robert Richardson born in Australia? I hope you appreciate my cautious approach to your reply to my comments on this site. I would be very happy to exchange my family history and of course your mother Eileen's family history. You have a very big extended family all over the world.

Please reply on one of the contacts available below, thank you. 

I look forward to hearing from you in Aberdeen the (Granite City) Alba Gu Brath.

My contact details are as below

Norman George Wood

Tel: 07870926069

woodng51@yahoo.com

Messenger (Facebook) Private messages only

Whatsapp

Kind Regards,

Norman