Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whistles why are some pea and others long

arantxa

Did different occupations get different whistles 

2882A891-31DD-4182-8FF9-2218E106B803.jpeg

It has been said that Officers had the Police type whistles and S/ Nco' s had pea types. The Idea being that soldiers could distinguish where the command originated. Sounds a bit unlikely and probably more to do with supply problems perhaps ?

Thanks for the thread 

very interesting 

• 1 year later...

Dated whistles are not officers they had to buy their own, right up to the late 1930s there was no official officers whistle :)

Reasons for different types in picture :)

1383209653_whistletypes.jpg.967f7bbade848e08008248f4c15402d1.jpg

Gosh that is so interesting

Yes arantxa :) im a militaria colector and a whistle collector and it does surprise me that militaria collectors and Dealers who are the worse for wrong info on whistles, do not know more about them as the info is out there and books have been written about whistles too :)

What date was the advert? I believe the "Territorial" or Beaufort whistle was largely superseded by the tube whistle (except for a few regiments?) well before WW1 as it couldn`t be held between the teeth.

Just now, PhilB said:

What date was the advert? I believe the "Territorial" or Beaufort whistle was largely superseded by the tube whistle (except for a few regiments?) well before WW1 as it couldn`t be held between the teeth.

The advert is post 1908, the territorial had to buy they much of their own kit so that whistle was a cheaper option :) I do have one they are much larger than a standard type used by the police and some later ones did indeed have a mouth piece fited to enable them to be held in the teeth :)