Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

why multiple names on graves ?

Coldstreamer

Hello

Is there a definitive reason  we have CWGC graves with 2 or more names on them ?

Ive searched forum but cant seem to find an answer but be surprised if not covered

cheers

Ian

cheers both

I must be/obviously am typing too slowly = you've got the answer I was typing = I too would go along with the proposition that multiple burials / mass graves etc when heavy casualties as my basic answer.

Foncquevillers Military Cemetery has as an example one particularly long 3-named headstones row (1L) - the result of the disastrous attack on Gommecourt on 1 July 1916

Edit: A point of interest in cases of such mass burials is whether or not the headstones have any spatial representation in relation to the remains buried there - one suspects they might not = another case where guidance to burial details / GRU from IWGC / CWGC would be now be usefully viewed

So far as a definitive explanation = ??? - another case of interest in CWGC cemeteries/headstones etc. where it would be useful if CWGC would perhaps release their own guidance - past and/or present.

So, CWGC, go on ... please.

Edit: another explanation for UK burials at least - The burials of siblings - usually dying on different dates but buried in the same grave [presumably on top of each other rather than side-by-side] in a civilian churchyard

Further edit: For those who wondered why I chose 'siblings' over brothers - to give scope for gender variants. Anyone found sisters?

But here's the further example I recalled having somewhere on my computer - taken a while to find it [brothers are easier] - Nicely spans genders, services and wars - and generations I think

1298939621_HOLDCROFTA.13267RugeleyCemetery.JPG.9d9d9b5132c16ff08621754c6eebae0b.JPG

Further edit: Additional cases of 'headstones' with more than one name - are when they are actually "Special Memorials" - e.g. 'Buried elsewhere in this churchyard'

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

there are many multiple named at Longuenesse (st Omer) also very close together headstones. it was a major headquarters and hospital centre. as on the other thread at Hermies Hill, mass graves for same day burials, the CWGC have their definations but no one knows what they are

Many of the HMS HAMPSHIRE dead at Lyness on Hoy are two per stone. I assumed that when large numbers from a single event were buried at close quarters, two per stone may have been more practicable for various reasons.

Thanks all

I dont recall ever seeing a multiple Coldstream one - any out there ?

17 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

Thanks all

I dont recall ever seeing a multiple Coldstream one - any out there ?

You could search the CWGC website for Coldstream Guards, download the results into an excel spreadsheet then sort by graveyard and grave reference.  This MAY indicate if there are any with the same reference.  I don't know whether this would mean they have a shared headstone.

a job for a rainy day me thinks

18 hours ago, Coldstreamer said:

a job for a rainy day me thinks

Yes, I did a quick check on what appeared to be a double in Boitron Churchyard but examination the headstone of one of the guardsmen listed suggested he was on his own.

thanks for trying

Thanks David - a great piece of work

seems there are quite  a few - will try to find a photo

• Admin

Ian

That sheet only has records of when Coldstreamers were buried together (with the one exception) so there may be others co-buried with soldiers from other regiments. I am going to be lurking an online auction today so will have a go at looking for others via the cemeteries themselves. Should be quicker as the "Duplicate values" option should quickly pick out possibilities. 

Any I find will be appended to the spreadsheet. Will report back later.

David

This is an image from Darwen Cemetery of a CWGC stone to a father and son. The son - George Richard Lucas won the DCM for action in Mesopotamia 

Tony

7F651C37-5F79-4675-A3FA-2F3D5CFCCAAF.jpeg

thanks David

Tony - now that joint grave I can totally understand :poppy:

I should have mentioned that apart from the two mentioned on the gravestone there are other members of the family buried in the same grave. When I first came across this grave I thought the stone with two names was unique but I soon found out that this was not the case

Toby

• Admin

Ian

Taking a bit longer than I thought it would!

I am into the Cs for Cemeteries and have added quite a few more to the list (on a different sheet as the record formatting is different). I suspect those in Boulogne East aren't really buried together but that the graves are grouped.

I wont bother sending you the file over just yet unless you want it but will send it once I have finished (which may not be for a while, but I shall persevere!)

Regards

David

On 29/12/2019 at 14:45, Matlock1418 said:

Edit: another explanation for UK burials at least - The burials of siblings - usually dying on different dates but buried in the same grave [presumably on top of each other rather than side-by-side] in a civilian churchyard

Further edit: For those who wondered why I chose 'siblings' over brothers - to give scope for gender variants. Anyone found sisters?

But here's the further example I recalled having somewhere on my computer - taken a while to find it [brothers are easier] - Nicely spans genders, services and wars - and generations I think

Not aware of any joint headstone for sisters, but there is this one for a husband and wife:

cant be many husband and wife on a CWGC grave

sisters would be very very rare