Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peter Barton Somme Panoramas

peterhogg

Happy Boxing Day all.

A question.  I was leafing through my copy of "The Unseen Panoramas of the Western Front" (2005) today which I had not looked at in some time.  I am now tempted to purchase the Somme Panoramas volume that followed it.  I recall some discussion about the Somme volume on this forum years back which I read through.  My question is, by way of a comparison, how much more in terms of panorama photographs does this Somme volume contain?  Are there additional panoramic photographs, as opposed to more in the way of text or maps etc..?  My interest lies in the July 1 areas for example, and the photograph that takes in Mansel Copse and the Shrine is very intriguing(In the Western Front volume).  But my interest is not limited to that period of the battle  I'd read somewhere this week there was a photograph of High Wood being shelled, for example, which sounds interesting. 

Anyway, has anyone done a comparison? It's something I will probably buy anyway but I was just wondering....

Peter (Used to be Connor but that changed somehow when i had to recover my password etc...)

The catalogue record in LibraryHub Discover tells me that the 2011 edition is 320 pages long, if that's any help.

Thanks Sea Jane.  It appears the specific content, photo-wise remains but a mystery

This is not the answer you are seeking but something which should be of interest. I remember there is a set of these Peter Barton referenced panoramas on the 360 drone web page. 

https://greatwar360.com/the-somme---a-new-panoramic-perspective/

https://greatwar360.com/the-somme/

Edited by Martin Feledziak
Links added

Thank you Martin.  That is also helpful.  I get the impression there is likely more in the way of text.  I'll add it to the book list and pick it up. 

Belatedly realised I have both these volumes although not looked at for a number of years. Unseen Panoramas has 47 pages on the Somme whereas The Somme has 320 pages. After a quick glance through the latter I am not convinced that there are a lot more panoramic photos than the earlier book. Having said that there are many more excellent maps, photos, diagrams and of course text. The Somme is an excellent book in its own right and I am now rereading it! 

Len

Hi Len.  Thanks very much.  That  helps.